Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Libby Fingers Cheney/Bush in Leak Case

havasu5150
    newsflash........the info that was "leaked"....was declassified. Bush declassified and told Chaney to get it to the public. If there was anything illegal about Valerie Plames mane being released the proscuter would be all over it.....but since there is not he's trying Libby for Lying to the court...perjury. Nothing about whether or not the wmds did or did not exist will be relevent to this trial.......but the media will try to spin it that way!

SmokinLowriderSS
    And the winner is ............. Havasu5150.
    Libby is charged with ... PERJURY. From the indictment:
    "On October 28, 2005, a federal grand jury returned a five-count indictment charging defendant I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby with obstruction of justice, perjury, and making false statements to investigators, in violation of 18 U.S.C. 1503, 1623, and 1001, in conection with an investigation concerning leaks to reporters of classified information regarding the employment of Valerie Plame Wilson."
    Damn, I wish the page would have let me copy/paste. :yuk:

SmokinLowriderSS
    Some factual cleanup on the "Plame affair".
    First, direct from Bob Novak:
    First, I did not receive a planned leak. Second, the CIA never warned me that the disclosure of Wilson's wife working at the agency would endanger her or anybody else. Third, it was not much of a secret.
    She was recalled by the CIA from European opperations after Aldrich Ames was caught. The CIA was afraid he had outed her to them. She has not served overseas since.
    From Wikipedia:
    In February of 1994, Ames was scheduled to fly to Moscow as part of his duties for the CIA, and the FBI feared that he would defect. This led to the arrest of Ames and his Colombian-born wife, Rosario, on February 21, 1994, by the FBI who charged him with providing highly classified information to the Soviet KGB and its successor organization, the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service.
    The information Ames provided led to the compromise of at least 100 US intelligence operations and to the execution of at least 10 US sources. He ultimately gave the Soviet Union the names of every American agent working in their country. The Soviets paid Ames approximately $2.5 million.
    Not knowing exactly whom he had outed, the CIA recalled hundreds of operatives, including Plame, for their safety.
    Joe Wilson, the arrogant, self centered, and not really bright, put himself in "Who's Who In America", a book available for purchase, and not viewable directly online (I have tried).
    The following webpage shows the entry in the 2002 Release. He published it in '99 the FIRST time. The relevant text is "m. Valerie Elise Plame, Apr. 3, 1998," which not only appears in the 2003 edition, but ALL editions from 1999-2005!
    http://wizbangblog.com/2005/08/05/jo...rica-entry.php
    So, via Who's Who, the name "Valerie Plame" has been associated publicly with Joe Wilson since the Clinton era - nice secret...
    Back to Novak himself:
    Wilson had been sent by the CIA's counterproliferation section at the suggestion of one of its employees, his wife. It was an offhand revelation from this official, who is no partisan gunslinger. When I called another official for confirmation, he said: "Oh, you know about it." The published report that somebody in the White House failed to plant this story with six reporters and finally found me as a willing pawn is simply untrue.[/U]
    At the CIA, the official designated to talk to me denied that Wilson's wife had inspired his selection but said she was delegated to request his help. He asked me not to use her name, saying she probably never again will be given a foreign assignment but that exposure of her name might cause "difficulties" if she travels abroad. He never suggested to me that Wilson's wife or anybody else would be endangered. If he had, I would not have used her name. I used it in the sixth paragraph of my column because it looked like the missing explanation of an otherwise incredible choice by the CIA for its mission.
    How big a secret was it? It was well known around Washington that Wilson's wife worked for the CIA. Republican activist Clifford May wrote Monday, in National Review Online, that he had been told of her identity by a [U]non-government source before my column appeared and that it was common knowledge. Her name, Valerie Plame, was no secret either, appearing in Wilson's "Who's Who in America" entry.
    While the CIA refuses to publicly define her status, the official contact says she is "covered" -- working under the guise of another agency. However, an unofficial source at the Agency says she has been an analyst, not in covert operations.
    The Justice Department investigation was not requested by CIA Director George Tenet.
    Now that it has been re-hashed, again, what we have is a non-crime, investigated untill someone either (A) made an error and accidentally got something wrong for a zealous attorney, or (B) someone tried to protect someone who failed to need protecting. A mistake either way.
    Now Freak, explain to me how the facts are "spin"?

Freak
    Never mind it's friday. Let's enjoy the weekend.

Freak
    Anyone catch 60min????
    On 60 Minutes, Tyler Drumheller, the former chief of the CIA’s Europe division, revealed that in the fall of 2002, President Bush, Vice President Cheney, then-National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice and others were told by CIA Director George Tenet that Iraq’s foreign minister — who agreed to act as a spy for the United States — had reported that Iraq had no active weapons of mass destruction program.
    BRADLEY: According to Drumheller, CIA Director George Tenet delivered the news about the Iraqi foreign minister at a high level meeting at the White House.
    DRUMHELLER: The President, the Vice President, Dr. Rice…
    BRADLEY: And at that meeting…?
    DRUMHELLER: They were enthusiastic because they said they were excited that we had a high-level penetration of Iraqis.
    BRADLEY: And what did this high level source tell you?
    DRUMHELLER: He told us that they had no active weapons of mass destruction program.
    BRADLEY: So, in the fall of 2002, before going to war, we had it on good authority from a source within Saddam’s inner circle that he didn’t have an active program for weapons of mass destruction?
    DRUMHELLER: Yes.
    BRADLEY: There’s no doubt in your mind about that?
    DRUMHELLER: No doubt in my mind at all.
    BRADLEY: It directly contradicts, though, what the President and his staff were telling us.
    DRUMHELLER: The policy was set. The war in Iraq was coming, and they were looking for intelligence to fit into the policy, to justify the policy.

Poster X
    I hate to disappoint everyone but, the oil is going to France.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I hate to disappoint everyone but, the oil is going to France.
    But we went to war for that oil (at least according to some loons out there). It's supposed to be OURS!!! :cry:
    And, perhaps the attempt to run the war on a footing of "WMD" will turn out to be a falsehood, perhaps not, further history will tell, what that does not change is the fact that there were 17 violations of a cease-fire agreement since 1991 (including proving the absence and surrenduring of WMD's) any one of which was legal grounds for invasion by the other parties of the cease-fire. The previous administration had no sack to hold Iraq accountable to those violations, and this one did.

Steve 1
    SS they do not get it!

Poster X
    We get that we were promised a war on terror. We get that a war was started in Afghanistan and left unfinished. We get that the reason we are in Iraq has changed four times. What's not to get? :wink:

Steve 1
    SS they STILL do not get it!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast