Thread: 460 Ford Timing

shirkey4750
    Anyone know the basic timing for a 460 Ford (70-76)? It is a 23' Jet. Set at 8 Deg. BTC, but doesn't seem right.

LakesOnly
    Try 14-16 BTDC at idle with the vaccum advance disconnected (if you have one).
    Ideally, hold 3000 rpm and set at about 32-34 BTDC @ 3000 rpm.
    This is assuming a stock engine/stock distributor.
    LO

Hotcrusader76
    What about 40 degrees
    ~Ty

riverbound
    Mine was set @ 33 by my engine builder. My motor is only slightly built up and he said this would be the most reliable setup.

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by Hotcrusader76
    What about 40 degrees
    ~Ty
    That is assuming my engine and nobody elses.
    LO

Hotcrusader76
    ....it's getting hot...in...here...

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by Hotcrusader76
    ....it's getting hot...in...here...
    No, no, no...no worries, Ty. My timing setting is no secret. It's just that based on my motor's internal components and overall make up, etc., it runs best at 40* I recently tried 36* and the thing was a complete dog.
    My statement in the above post has more to do with the fact that I am assuming stock motor and distributor when assisting shirkey. Further, 32-34 actually seems to work best for most people here. DanHercules, for example, was runing around 34* and we tried 36* and there was no change in (or slightly lower) max rpm.
    34* @ 3000 seems to be a good general number for the basic 460.
    LO

Mr Twister
    Every engine has a number of variables to determine the exact timing spec. Most timing numbers are described as total timing, but if you don't have a dial back timing light or a degreed balancer you can't get that number. So, I'm assuming its a jet, and a jet is a "ride along dyno".
    Heres what works for me: set the timing at a conservative figure, say 6 degrees initial, run the boat and record max rpms, bump it up 2 degrees, run it again, record rpms. keep doing this until the rpms drop off then dial the timing back to the point at which you had the max rpms. Make no other changes while doing this. Some work involved here. If you go too far it will be hard to start and you will have to take out more timing, get a better starter, or an msd box that takes timing out during cranking.

shirkey4750
    Thanks for the input everyone, I set the total time at 33 Deg. Boat seemed to start and idle good, will try it out when I get back from vacation. Been riding the hydro and cruiser and haven't messed with this boat much.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...000685-med.jpg

LakesOnly
    Now put fresh plugs in. make a pass and do a plug reading.
    LO