Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going WAAAY Old School...All Wood, Direct Drive!

Dave Sammons
    I know it's not a v-drive, but, I think we all consider Crackerboxes to be part of the Family! My partner(Dick "Smooth" Waldrip) and I just purchased Bill Simpson's P550 "Fools Box". Before I get into the details, I thought, during this week where alot of us are thinking about our friend, Ron Bolton, I'd relay a quick story that ties into this whole purchase.
    For the last few years, Ron and his Mom would sit with us, under our ez-up at the Sprint Nationals in Long Beach. It was so enjoyable to just sit and talk with the 2 of them. During one of the Crackerbox heats, we got to discussing how much fun it would be to run the class and how much horspower it would take if Ron and I went in on one and were to share the driving/riding duties. Now we're both pretty good sized fellas and we figured since our combined weight would be a little bit north of 600lbs , we would need to get a couple breaks in the rules just to be competitive. To make an all-day comedy routine story short, we decided that we would have to build the first Widebody, T-deck, Blown Alcohol Crackerbox! MAN!!, that thing would have been some FUN! Great Memories of a GREAT GUY!!
    Anyway, Dick used to run a Cracker in the 60's and he has always said that if the oppotunity ever came up, it would be great to find one and get back into the class. Well, the one we found is a GREAT boat. A 1965 all-wood Patterson with a fresh Pfaff 312 ready to go in. The wood in the boat has just been completely upgraded and resealed. We have to put all the hardware back in to make it raceready. The plan for now is to put it back together, with a couple upgrades and go have some fun at the races! Hope to make Parker in April, but if not...we may make the pull to Burley. Should be some fun!!
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5187fb6.jpg

Dave Sammons

Dave Sammons
    One of the really cool things about this class is it's history. It is the oldest, on-going class in the APBA. This boat has been around 40+ years. Here's a few shots that are kinda neat. The first one is from the Memorial Weekend race program at Long Beach in 1967. The boat out front is my partner Dick in his Wickens "Abagaba", the next boat, 76P, "The Broker", which is the boat we just BOUGHT, being driven by it's original owner, Dick Maxwell. The 51P was driven by Bob Clune...A name some of you might remember.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5187cb1.jpg
    The next shot is from Parker later that year when Maxwell set the Kilo record at 91.30mph
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5187fb5.jpg
    Then the boat get's sold to Clune, who puts his Ford in it(with son Jeff driving) and becomes the first Cracker to run over 100mph in the kilo and sets the record at 99.86mph. As I remember, he was tough to beat in the circles as well. Here's a shot from the Stadium.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5187z1.jpg
    So she has some great history! We are looking forward to running this boat for a long time...Mighty big shoes to fill though!!!

dmontzsta
    That is super cool, you always have all the good toys.

johnny2slick
    Ask your crackerbox buddies if they remember a guy named Bunny Jeboult. He raced those things back then and probably raced those guys.
    He has some very cool old photos of those days and it looked like they were having nothing but fun. Very cool old boat you got there.

BILLY.B
    Then the boat get's sold to Clune, who puts his FORD in it(with son Jeff driving) and becomes the first Cracker to run over 100mph in the kilo and sets the record at 99.86mph. As I remember, he was tough to beat in the circles as well. Here's a shot from the Stadium.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5187z1.jpg
    So she has some great history! Figures they'd have to put a FORD in it to run those ##################'S...COOL RIDE CHIEF!!!

ColeTR2
    Wow Dave I didn't know it was that nice. You guys are going to have a lot of fun!

MAXIMUS
    Man now that is a nice score. I was checking out the GN "TUB OF FOOLS" which Rudy owns now. It was the sister boat to this cracker & is one of the nicest rigged boats I have had the pleasure to rub up against. Very cool color scheme...

superdave013
    bad azz!!
    Dave, If you are going to scare the crap out of friends put me on the list! I've always wanted to go for a spin in one of those.

Rattle Can Lou
    I had a guy call me today and say he has a Patterson wood cracker for sale. It's in a barn here in Boise.....Just Jokin Ya...I am so happy for you and Smoooooth. I know how bad he wanted this boat. We will see you in Burley...RCL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast