Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those living in North Carolina...

NOCTURNAL
    I am considering a position in Charlotte which would transfer me from California. I have never lived in NC and would like to get some input from those that live (or have lived) there. What are the pros and cons of living in North Carolina as far as you are concerned? Would you live anywhere else? What should I expect or be aware of if I choose to move? I know this is a broad topic, but any help would be much appreciated. California is just too damn expensive and I am looking for a reason to leave.
    Thanks in advance.

Wet Dream
    Originally posted by NOCTURNAL
    I California is just too damn expensive and I am looking for a reason to leave.
    Thats the only reason you need. Myself being a CA native and resident for 25 years, then to Montana for 5, and now here in Pennsylvania for the last 5, it keeps getting better. I've really been eyeing the Carolinas as the climate tends to be a little closer to that of CA, but you my have to deal with the occassional hurricane.
    I left CA for several reasons, one of them being that I couldn't afford to live there and have the things I want.

mickeyfinn
    I live in Atlanta but have spent some time in the Charlotte area. Reasons to live here:
    Southern Belles
    Cost of living....
    No waits at the launch ramp
    LOTS of lakes to choose from
    Cost of living
    Southern Belles
    Beer is cheap
    Oh yeah did I mention the Southern Belles and the cost of living?

mickeyfinn
    Oh yeah I almost forgot...Easy to get laid here too. Just take a bologna sandwich down to the local greyhound station and find a homeless chick to spend the night with you for the sandwich....

Wet Dream
    Originally posted by mickeyfinn
    Oh yeah I almost forgot...Easy to get laid here too. Just take a bologna sandwich down to the local greyhound station and find a homeless chick to spend the night with you for the sandwich....

Wet Dream
    I gotta agree with you Mickey.
    The southern belles have got it ALL over the fake chicks in CA. But thats just my personal opinion.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
    Originally posted by mickeyfinn
    Geee must be cousin on cousin LOLOL

likwidsukr
    Originally posted by SHAKE-YO-AZZ
    Geee must be cousin on cousin LOLOL
    So thats where it comes from ???

DaveA
    Now that everyone else is giving you advice, let me, as a born & bred Nawth Carolina native, give you the True Picture.
    Come on out here...everyone else has.
    Especially Pennsylvanians and Long Islanders. Californians are down the list a bit. You can pick 'em out of a crowd on the Interstate, tho. They're running with the New Yorkers in the go-fast lane, and even tho they've got an NC plate (which the NY'ers haven't switched to yet) they've left the Cali plate on the front just to let the NY'ers and PA'ers know that they're um... Different.
    The "lets all move to NC" migration started about 25 yrs ago when the coal mines in WVa started shutting down. So they all moved here. After all, it was downhill all the way and it was about as far as that one tank of gas would get 'em. Since then we've had 'em all come. Attracted by banking, technology, USeless Airways, and then construction...man is there construction! Oh, and NASCAR...about forgot.
    Charlotte's the home of "The Big Show" featuring JohnBoy and Billy. You can get in the mood to move by going to The Big Show website (http://www.thebigshow.com) and listening online. That way you can learn all about the serious issues of Carolina Livin'.
    But in all seriousness, bring your ole self and come on. It was 94F today- and humidity level was 'wring yourself out'. If you have any other toys, such as 4wheelers, sandbuggies, rockcrawlers, and dirt bikes, fergit it. There aren't many places to ride them around here now, unless you know somebody or plan to move across the border to SC, and get to know somebody that owns a pine forest (they're all pine forests around here ) If you have an airplane, no problem. You'll be my newest bestest friend.
    If you live in the Charlotte area, you're 2.5 hours from the biggest mansion in the country and the Blue Ridge Mtns. You're 4 hours from the Grand Strand and Myrtle Beach. You're a gawdawful long way from Hatteras and the Outer Banks, but it's worth the trip every so often.
    As far as lakes go, they run the gamut. Mostly electric power utility controlled in this area. Housing is available on most all of them, it's gotten pricey, but if you make a killin' offn' yore shack out there in Lost Angels, you can buy a huge lakefront estate with a helicopter landing pad for not alot more....oh...wait...Rusty Wallace already sold that place to Jeff Gordon's ex-sweetie. Sorry. But there's others! I'll get you in touch with a Very Good Realtor if you wish.
    The address of your job has alot to do with the address of your home, unless you like NC-style traffic. It's slow at 'rush' hour (us natives don't rush much) but nuthin' like LAX or ATL. Still it's frustrating that what used to take 30 minutes now takes 1:15 sometimes. Lousy road designs. But lakefront or lake area property is really a no-sweat commute compared to what you're used to.
    For more info on the area, examine these sites:
    Regional lake info according to Duke Power (http://www.dukepower.com/community/lakes/lakefacts/)
    Fun on Lake Norman (http://www.lknfun.com/)
    Local paper, the Charlotte Disturber...er...Observer (http://www.charlotte.com)
    Feel free to PM me for more info, or a phone number to call me if you would like. I live on Lake Norman just north of Charlotte, and have been in this area most of my life.

Lady Warhawk
    Oh mah Dave, I think I'm gettin tha vapahs. NC is a great place to live. Central NC is wunnerful. Three ours to the East, and yer at the coast, 3 ours to the west, and yer in the mnts. Yes, we have lakes galore wif no waitin time.
    Bein born, and raised in NC it has taught me how suthern hospitality works. You know the sayin, northern girls say you can, and suthern gals say ya'll can
    Ya'll come on, we'll leave the candle burnin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast