Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill Flipper

nowheels
    my 21 daytona has a porpoise around 85 mph, what can I try to get rid of it

Bryan Rose
    Sell it to me cheap! I can Fix it .
    No just kidding you need to give specifics about you set up, someone here will soon give you some help. I am a v bottom boater , but not for long .....so I don't know much
    Bryan

572Daytona
    I had a high speed porpoising problem on mine as well. I got rid of it by adding some shims to the shoe to increase the shoe depth. I'm running about 1/4" below the keel now. The only downside with that much shoe is it seems to be more drag at lower speeds but it still handles fine.

nowheels
    what's a shoe (no wise cracks please)

MAXIMUS
    Does your boat have a ride plate under the pump?

nowheels
    yes

MAXIMUS
    Ok the "shoe" is what it attaches to at the back of the intake hole. It would look something like a horse shoe. It will have a recessed area where the ride plate fits into it for a smooth ridding surface. You can check the angle of your ride plate vrs. the angle of the keel. The keel is the flat surface in front of the intake hole that runs to the front. If you get an digital angle finder or level you can get accurate angle readings between the 2 surfaces. This would help to determin some possibilities to a remedy! Also adjusting the depth of the shoe & possibly the angle of it as well.

572Daytona
    What's up Maxi? I heard you are thinking of joining the local bassmasters and going clamp on?
    nowheels, Maxi is the 21' Daytona guru. He helped me a bunch with my setup, I didn't know what any of this stuff was either.
    In the pic below I've circled the shoe in red. Under that are shims which are basically different thickness pieces of metal that are the same shape as the shoe that you can use to adjust the depth of the shoe. As you add more or thicker shims you bring the shoe down lower which helps keep the pump loaded as the boat starts to air out more at higher speeds.
    http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/Dscn0172ee.jpg

Jbb
    Nice lookin writeup on a Daytona in the new Hot Boat...wonder who it belongs to....

nowheels
    Thanks guys, I'll start with the ride plate angle. It's good to know there is a 21 daytona guru to help me along. I'll post some pics of my setup asap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast