Thread: Fins?

Bryan Rose
    Just wondering why no fins on the botton off the hull like the v-drive boys? stupid ? I know but hey someone has to ask....seems like it would make the boat track straighter at speed.
    Bryan

MikeF
    Some hulls have them, but most do not. Probably all Liberty's did and some of the Rogers I have seen have them too.
    This is the one on mine. It does track pretty straight.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ottom1-med.jpg

manuel
    I like them on top too!
    http://www.coolwoodies.com/A55597/WoodieHm.nsf/bb0e9bc1154a23d488256812006c6143/0cf960a5409dc98888256a3d0012ba9a/$FILE/STG27690/STG27690.gif!OpenElement

throwerb
    My Rogers has one.

MAINEVENT
    My Challenger has two small one's

BigBoyToys
    I usually drop in my own fins. My Syndicate has 1 Fin but I have a set of dual fins sitting on a shelf in my garage.

Bryan Rose
    So they work, even for a jet ....Would be pretty tough to get them lined up to drop in after the fact would it not? got to get them perfect otherwise no workey
    I would have trouble getting it on the trailer with fins on the bottom, my boat sits very low on the trailer.

BigBoyToys
    Originally posted by Bryan Rose
    So they work, even for a jet ....Would be pretty tough to get them lined up to drop in after the fact would it not? got to get them perfect otherwise no workey
    I would have trouble getting it on the trailer with fins on the bottom, my boat sits very low on the trailer.
    Years ago when we raced CIrcle Jet boats with the APBA, we started out with no fins. After a few spinouts at the most inopportune time, we put some fins on and couldn't believe the difference in the cornering. It also helps a little keeping the boat going straight when ya want it to.
    They are actually pretty easy to install, because most have a slight "V" concave to them. Not to difficult to get them lined up. As far as positioning, usually the ideal position just happens to line up to be an open spot on the trailer, between the 2 axles on a tandem axle trailer. Easy to install too. The extra set of dual fins that I have jusy requires 4 bolt holes drilled through the bottom of the hull to mount them up. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get them installed, start to finish. Once installed, a good set in the correct position, will force you to sink your tailer into the water a little bit more for trailering/detrailering purposes or else they can get hung up.