Thread: Possible Catalina trip for the jazz concerts

hd&boatrider
    My buddy who was down from N CA for our Mohave Dam Run over the weekend has been to Catalina for the jazz concerts in October sometime. I was talking to him about taking the boat over for it, mooring for the night and getting a room and coming back the next day.
    Anybody want to try to get a group together to do this? Also, I have never taken my boat out in the ocean (Shockwave Tremor) so I would really like others that are experienced in ocean boating to show me the way anyhow.
    What do you guys think? Good idea or bad idea?

Steamin' Rice
    That would be a fun trip... Here are a couple of potential issues:
    1: Moorings in Avalon are assigned on a first come, first served basis. Normally in the fall you shouldn't have a problem getting a mooring, but I have heard that moorings get sold out early in the week when the Jazz festival is going on. A lot of boats will show up to the island on Wed or Thurs and spend the weekend there. If you show up on Sat, you could be SOL as far as getting a mooring.
    2: Unless it's a last minute booking, most (all?) hotels will require a two-night minimum stay on the weekends in Avalon.
    If you have flexible plans, you could head over there on Sat and hope to get a mooring. If you get a mooring, you could check around for an open hotel room for Sat night and book it. If you are either not able to get a mooring or not able to find a hotel, hang out for awhile and then cruise back over to the coast.
    Also, I heard a rumor that SCOPE might be putting together an overnight/rally around the island trip to Catalina in Oct after the Jazz Festival is over...

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
    Sounds like fun, put me down for the run.

hd&boatrider
    I am counting on info like that to help me out here SR. Some of my crew would be flying in from Clevland and others from N CA so I have to have all this lined up ahead of time.
    Well, we got a start on this.....who else, any more advice?

hd&boatrider
    Here is a listing of the jazz artists playing:
    http://www.jazztrax.com/jazz/catalina.html
    As you can see we have some flexibility regarding the days to go.

Krazy K
    If I could, I'd go the 1st weekend! Great lineup! Fourplay is one of my favorite jazz groups!!