Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Htp

miketsouth
    I am suspecting loose splines as the cause of some light vibration in my P/F.
    I have about a 7deg rise in the 7"(ujoint center to center) crankshaft that connects the motor to the pump.
    The vibration starts at about 3800rpm and continues to 4700(my max so far)
    There is also very loud pump rattle from 1000 to 1100 rpm. I have a jet with pump rattle but no vibration but the close coupled shaft has only a degree of offset, and that by accident.
    The spline connection has radial play of about 1/32" at the ujoint end
    The spline connection is well lubed.
    The motor and pump are parellel, dead nuts.
    The spline is engaged 95%, leaving just 5/16" for thrust
    The u-joints are not very loose, if at all and lubed.
    I researched the part i needed and found it to be a specific spicer part,
    part# 2-4-2401
    1310 series
    10 spline
    1.375 spline major diameter
    1.069 u-joint cap diameter
    2" spline length
    ubolt design bearing cap hold downs
    et cetera
    I called my local bearing company, who have been very knowledgabe in drive systems before, and i might as well have been talking to a (censored) dealer.
    I called Dana-Spicer and they found the part number, but did not know if they still made them...and said they would get back.. another (censored) dealer.
    I called your shop. The gentleman not only knew what i was talking about but had them in stock, assured me by direct measurement that it was the right part, offered me some vibration troubleshooting information and shipped them out RIGHT NOW.
    This is service. This is excellent unparalleled service, and i wish to display my profound pleasure in dealing again with your shop.
    Thank you
    .................................................. .................................................. .
    I dont know if this is the source vibration or not. Could be uneven power, but i cant find it. Maybe i'm being to critical. I thinks not.
    I moved the motor a little back to engage just a little more splines and the vibration, as well as the axial play was not as bad.
    I mic'd the OD of the shaft and the ID of the major diameter of the splined coupling. .006" @ .003 per side. I probably made a mistake. The splines wear on the side of the spline. If the sides are close, the coupling will be tight regardless of the major OD, i think.
    I tried to think of all kinds of ways to tighten the coupling, from shimming to electroplating. Didnt have to. For the price and availability this will work.
    Thanks Duane
    mikeT

Duane is a good guy, has helped and awnsered all my questions... Too bad he doesnt really post around here any more.
    You can thank the drama queen/Flamers for that...

miketsouth
    Many times i read the troll's blather and contemplate a reply. I dont carry it out:
    1. I dont know anything
    2. It just satisfies the troll
    The most important thing i know is that i dont know anything. The second thing i know is that i am rather thick and hardheaded.
    I'll stick with that.
    Duane and Brian have been a real service to me.
    Very professional.
    Very knowledgable.
    Very responsive.
    Very able.
    My next effort is to get someone to give me some SBC headers.
    I know, Rots of Ruck.
    I used logs because i dont like the idea of water injection and i just cant pay more for jacketed headers than i did for the motor.
    Seems i miscalculated the restriction that logs give even with the OT trumpets.
    I been searching E-bay, pondering Lightnings and dreaming of making my own. Got to look good, which leaves out some of the cast aluminum manifolds, but seems i just cant bring myself around to making the plunge for CMI or Stellings. Im just too cheep(spent all of my money already). Sucks.
    Water jacketed is the way to go. I burnt myself TWICE in the same day on the OT extensions. (thick, like i said).
    mikeT

RiverDave
    Originally posted by Shaun
    Duane is a good guy, has helped and awnsered all my questions... Too bad he doesnt really post around here any more.
    You can thank the drama queen/Flamers for that...
    DuanteHTP doesn't post here anymore? ?
    When did that happen?
    RD

BrendellaJet
    Duane has not been posting on a lot of the techy stuff he normally would. He just tells people to PM him from what I have seen.

well, i dont see him posting as much as he used to. A while back he had a post saying he was going to stop because of all the crap. By searching for his name i see that he still does post, but like i said i dont see him posting as much as i used to. It could just be that he's busy, it is that time of the year.

Duane HTP
    I watch a lot now days, and I try to help people by sending them PM's. I like to post, and I enjoy helping when I can, but I'm not a good writer or typest, so the way it comes out a lot of times, seems to be taken out of context. I'll post some, but if it brings the asshole back, I'm outta here. He makes it not worth the time and trouble. Duane

superdave013
    Originally posted by Duane HTP
    I watch a lot now days, and I try to help people by sending them PM's. I like to post, and I enjoy helping when I can, but I'm not a good writer or typest, so the way it comes out a lot of times, seems to be taken out of context. I'll post some, but if it brings the asshole back, I'm outta here. He makes it not worth the time and trouble. Duane
    You type just fine. There is a few assholes in every crowd. Just this crowd you can't reach out and smack 'em when they need it.
    I don't even own a jet boat but I really enjoy your posts.
    You help some many people out with straight solid advice. It would be a shame to let a few mess that up.
    I say put those guys on your ignore list and they will be out of sight, out of mind.

TexasJet
    Duane, I agree with superdave013. Just ignore "the one who must not be named". I have always found your posts well written and informative.

miketsouth
    Ok, got the new coupling. Major OD measures the same. Teeth on the old one were worn. Just a little, but at the driveline angle of 7degrees probably enough to matter. It is the teeth that hold the damn thing straight, not the OD.
    Thanks again Brian and Duane.
    mikeT

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast