Thread: Olds 455?

Taylorman
    I am in the process of putting new heads on my 455. The heads i took off i had drilled and tapped the back for external oil return lines down to a fitting welded into the pan. Im debating on whether or not to put them on my new/used heads. I rebuilt the motor last year and it has oil restrictors in the mains and lifter bores, 8 qt oil pan and hv oil pump. I put the drain lines for an added sense of security but im not sure if i need them or not. The fitting are already in the pan, so its just a matter of drilling the heads. Should i put them or not?
    Thanks in advance for the suggestions to use the 455 as an anchor and buy a 454. However, thats not the advice im looking for.
    Kevin

Wet Dream
    Are these new heads the aluminum ones you've been talking about? Either way, this is just me talking here, I don't think I'd worry abou the return lines. What you DO want to do is this...
    If you are running a set of worked over C's, make sure the drainbacks are drilled out (enlarged) on top and bottom. I'm pretty sure the aluminums have this covered already. No matter how big you make the holes in the heads, you still have to do the block too. This can be done carefully with 2 people. Cover the lifter valley with clean towels, rags or whatever. Have a friend hold the shop vac to suck up the splinters as you drill. I had to do this to mine as it was fully assembled and forgot to do the returns. I run the HV, no restrictors, and a 9qt pan. I haven't had any problems.

Taylorman
    No i did not buy the alum heads. Im buying a new house and wanted to save my $$$. I bought a set of C heads off ebay.

dgie
    How much did you pay for them? I would like to eventually ugrade my "J smog heads " over to them. "C" heads are kind of hard to find though.
    If you have not been there already another source for 455's is the ROP board "Real Olds Power" . Hit up Glen "Beast 455" he is my other source for good info along with this board.

Taylorman
    I paid 250 + 60 shipping. Im praying they are in good shape.

Taylorman- I would do the return lines- Seems like very little effort for some piece of mind _ I just did my Ka's- all four corners, and after running wide open for over 3 minutes at 4800 rpm, my oil pressure never dropped below 70psi with Kendall straight 40wt dino oil. The front return lines weren't even warm, the rear ones were, so I know they are doing their job. I am running a shimmed stock oil pump(blueprinted), and believe it or not, a stock oil pan. I have 60 psi oil pressure at warm idle, 90 till it warms up So far, so good! Stan

sleekvino
    can you throw up a pic on the install.

455Olds
    Any pics of your boat Marlin455? I'm running an 18' '77 Marlin...

455Olds- There are some pics here---I will try to get some more later this week, if it ever stops raining on me!!!
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ser=68&cat=500