Thread: Donzi HELP

waterslinger
    Ok guys help me out here. I have a friend looking at a 71 Donzi
    18 with a filled in serial number. The boat is a 71 that has a nice
    98 motor and alpha repower. Well when the thru-hull tips were
    moved the boat had lots of glass work on her back side.
    Now not a trace of an ID number, is there one inside the boat??
    Called Donzi and got this "we have only had this operation from
    1995 till now and have NO records or info from before that time."
    WTF

uvindex
    When you say the friend is "looking at a 71 Donzi" I assume you mean he's considering buying it. If that's the case, what does the present owner have to say about the filled-in HIN? Does the owner have a title for the boat and if so doesn't the title show a HIN? Also, does the boat have registration numbers? Those should help as well.
    Good luck!

Sleek-Jet
    HIN weren't required untill 72 I believe?? My 68 Cambell didn't have one and Arizona issued a generic HIN for the hull when I registered it here.

waterslinger
    The owner has some paper work but sure would love to match it to the boat. My bud just does not want to get burned.
    Sure wish Donzi could put some light on the no HIN till 72.

RiverToysJas
    Originally posted by waterslinger
    Sure wish Donzi could put some light on the no HIN till 72.
    Here's everything you need to know about Hull Identification Numbers (http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html) Hope that helps.
    Is the guy you're buying from shady or something? Why don't you trust the title is good? I can't imagine you're dealing with a huge amount of money for this sale. It's an 18' long, 33 year old boat.
    RTJas

BoatPI
    You have a serious problem here. not a smart move. The boat will need to be inspected and an assigned HIN attached. Not good and it could devalue the boat.

Havasu Cig
    Originally posted by RiverToysJas
    Here's everything you need to know about Hull Identification Numbers (http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html) Hope that helps.
    Is the guy you're buying from shady or something? Why don't you trust the title is good? I can't imagine you're dealing with a huge amount of money for this sale. It's an 18' long, 33 year old boat.
    RTJas
    I looked at a 1973 20' Cig that had been totally restored at a cost of over 100k. It sold for 47k, so depending on the condition it might not bee that cheap.

waterslinger
    Boat going for $9,500 Looks nice but would feel better with numbers.
    Thanks for the help men. I will pass the info on.

DeepVee
    Go here Donzi Registry (http://www.donzi.net) for the best help. There are a few splashed Donzi copies out there. So I would do everything you can to verify its authenticity. The method of construction and bolt-ons can be one of the biggest clues if the HIN and original drive train is gone.