Thread: 455 knock

Mike G
    #@%!! Took my friends and their kids up to Big Bear lake for a little family fun - tubing, etc. Sucked a TON of seaweed into the grate and was stupid enough to try to idle back to the dock to clean it out. (Had the kids in the boat and didn't want to freak them out by stopping in the middle of the lake). In retrospect this was a STUPID idea.... Forgot that the engine is cooled through the pump, and if no water's going through the pump it's gonna get a little warm.
    Anyway, got all the seaweed cleaned out, and when I started it back up it ran fine for a minute or so and then started getting a funky knock sound. NOT GOOD! Checked the oil and it's a bit silver looking. VERY NOT GOOD!
    What'da think? Spun a rod bearing? Options? Full rebuild? $$$ Yank the bottom end, polish the crank, etc? Tank the block?
    Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.
    -Mike

Moneypitt
    If you have a spun rod bearing, the crank will need more than a polish. Grind the crank under size, re size or replace the bad rod, and rebalance the asembly. However, your problem may be in the piston area, where the heat causes some gauling, and the additional drag then hurts the rod bearings. I think a total teardown/inspection, and replacement of anything marginal is in order...........MP

Mike G
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Can I have my "fantasy answer" now? You know, like: "oh, just change the oil and it'll be fine!". :-)
    -Mike

Sleek26
    I'm not an engine builder but, I've been told by a couple that it is critical with the Olds engine, to have the crank hardened after turning it. I think there are several different processes for doing that. I would just use which ever one you have faith in or your machine shop might recomend one. Also cross drill and chamfer your crank. Install oil restrictors and use an 8 quart or larger oil pan with a quality oil pump. (that word was quality, not high volume or high pressure) I pulled my head out of my arse and did as they recommended, after 3 rebuilds, and haven't had any problems with the Olds since. Good luck.