Thread: Seat box rebuild

JROCK
    Hi,
    After swapping engines the other weekend I could no longer ignore the rotten seat boxes in the back of my eliminator. I have never done any kind of wood working before, but figured it couldnÂ’t be to hard. Got some marine plywood and some other supplies and ended up having to buy a jig saw, but this was a really easy project.
    If interested at all check out some before and after here
    http://www.csupomona.edu/~jfspindler/seatbox/test2.html

BrendellaJet
    nice work!

You weren't shi//ing those were rotten.

your woodworking skills are definitly above par!
    you know,..you could get even more life out of those boxes if you were to glass the seams!
    just a thought, looking good!
    todd

Jetdriver
    Did you resin them at all? Like TNJ said a little glass in the seams would be a nice addition, but even just a good coat of resin would keep them nice for years to come.

socalmoney
    Did you replace all the wood for your seats or just the rears?
    I need to do something about mine and was wondering about the dificulty level. Did you use the old vinyl or did you replace it as well?
    socalmoney
    my interior (http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...35DSCN1328.JPG)

JROCK
    I replaced the rear seat boxes and the tops of my front to back seats. All the other wood was in great condition so I didn¡¦t bother. The seat tops were pretty easy as well, just bought new foam and reused the existing vinyl. The hardest part was just aligning the seat stops properly and then having my dad hold the vinyl and compress the foam while I tacked the vinyl back on... really wasn¡¦t hard at all. I would suggest doing this yourself if you have a little time and the tools. I was thinking of having someone rebuild this stuff for me and I am glad I didn¡¦t, it was that easy. Basically the reason I made this post was to show how damn easy this project was, if I would have seen this post when I was debating whether to rebuild mine or pay I wouldn¡¦t even have had to think about it ƒº
    I am completely ignorant about fiber glassing... Does fiber glass come in some kind of ready made spread that I can just wipe over the seams or is it more involved than that?

Jetdriver
    Fiberglass is a bit more involved but rather easy once you do it once or twice. Just go down to your local hardware store or even Autozone, pick up some Fiberglass mat and a gallon of resin. Mix the resin as directed on the container, pick yourself up a couple of cheap throw away brush's and paint on a nice coat of resin and then lay the glass mat over that then a coat or 2 of resin over the glass so its nice and wet, then give her awhile to dry. Rather simple once you do it. If I left anything out Im sure someone here on the boards will get all over my shit for it and then correct me in some way, shape or form. If you want more info feel free to PM me.