Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Havasu Marina noise

Essex502
    Originally posted by summerlove
    unfortunately they're the only show in town unless you launch at Windsor, which I hate....
    what about thru-hull below the water line? that should make it woldn't you think?
    Our boat is thru-hull but below the water line at idle. With the 502 we "blew" 86 db-A at idle with a Radio Shack digital noise meter with me hanging off the back of the transom. I intend to pursue launching there after their "drop dead" date.
    Let me REITERATE...the Arizona noise limit is 86 db-A at 50 FEET away from the boat. If those BOZOS say the law is anything else it is COMPLETE BULL$HIT.

Havasu Cig
    I will never give the Marina another dime of my money. I will continue to use windsor unless there is a change at the Marina. I really believe the Manager, Jeff, does not want performance boats there.

Toomstone
    Originally posted by dicudmore
    If you have through transom exhaust, you're too loud
    My 496HO measures 92
    did yours measure 92 close up or at 50 feet? i have a deckboat and it has a similar swim step as you boat. when your behind it, it seems to just echo out from under there.

Essex502
    Probably true about the Marina's manager but the reality is that Windsor cannot handle of the traffic if all of the "hot" boats quit launching at the Marina.

carbonmarine
    He doesnt want this biz.He wants a nice quite simple place. Money from launching is not the main source of income its slips. The town is 50K plus and those in town are at a median age of 45+ and retiremenet age and more likely tohave less radical boats and use teh facilities to their max... gas, store, etc.....
    BASICALLY: The marine doesnt need our Biz, They are not going after our or targting Biz or demographic, They could care less ....
    I cant see why everyone is upset and acting like abused wives over this - the Mr Manager Guy has been a major dick and enemy to our kind for years ....

Essex502
    Originally posted by Toomstone
    did yours measure 92 close up or at 50 feet? i have a deckboat and it has a similar swim step as you boat. when your behind it, it seems to just echo out from under there.
    I have measured a variety of boats recently and all thru transom exhaust that exits ABOVE the waterline will fail the new CA tests (1/1/2005) which are conducted at 1.5 meters from the exhaust's exit. The AZ standard and the CA standard until the end of the year is the 86 db @ 50'.
    Yours will fail the new CA test and pass the AZ and existing CA test at idle only. However, both AZ and CA do not make the distinction of what throttle position the 50' test is taken at. SO...that means that if you are passing a boat on the water at any speed OTHER than idle and that boat is 50' or more away and that boat is LE and he has a noise meter on you and you are higher (likely) than 86 db you are illegal.

Essex502
    What I still don't understand is how legally the Marina can apply a standard stricter than the AZ state law as I doubt they will have a noise meter at the gate when you pay to come in nor one that is 50' away (and must be away from reflecting noise sources such as structures...i.e. marina buildings) and apply the test correctly.

Toomstone
    Originally posted by Essex502
    I have measured a variety of boats recently and all thru transom exhaust that exits ABOVE the waterline will fail the new CA tests (1/1/2005) which are conducted at 1.5 meters from the exhaust's exit. The AZ standard and the CA standard until the end of the year is the 86 db @ 50'.
    Yours will fail the new CA test and pass the AZ and existing CA test at idle only. However, both AZ and CA do not make the distinction of what throttle position the 50' test is taken at. SO...that means that if you are passing a boat on the water at any speed OTHER than idle and that boat is 50' or more away and that boat is LE and he has a noise meter on you and you are higher (likely) than 86 db you are illegal.
    wow.... that has got to be the stupidest thing ive ever heard. no one is ever 5 feet from exhaust when its started. so why the hell are they testing it from there?

91nordic29
    I GUESS THE MARINA CAN USE THE OLD "RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE" (oops) line.
    i wonder where the marina's "property line" starts? at the waters edge? end of the docks? does anyone know?

Essex502
    Originally posted by Toomstone
    wow.... that has got to be the stupidest thing ive ever heard. no one is ever 5 feet from exhaust when its started. so why the hell are they testing it from there?
    The test is much simpler for LE to perform. It is well documented and can be done by tying up to the boat to be tested or from the dock. It is consistent where the J1970 and J34 tests are more difficult to administer and hence not administered often.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast