Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skiing Question

78Eliminator
    Is it unsafe to leave the engine running when skiers are getting in and out of a jet boat? Will the intake suck a foot in or anything like that. The stopping and starting of an engine over and over can be really abusive.....comments and thoughts appreciated.
    Justin

rivercrazy
    Generally speaking, I believe its always good practice to shut the motor down regardless of the type of drive.
    I doubt you would ever have problem injuring someone at idle with jet boat, but its still not a good idea. To me the biggest risk is sucking a rope in the intake while its tangled with the person in the water. That could drag them into the water and drown em.

Slick
    I've never had the urge to stick my hand even close to the intake on a jet while it's running, so I'm not sure how much suction there is at idle. I think RC makes a good point. Better safe than sorry.

jordanpaulk
    And from the stand point overlooking personal safety and just from the selfish concern for property view, it is a pain to get a ski rope out from a pump once it is sucked in there. Plan on getting towed back to the marina, putting the boat on the trailer and spending a couple of hours digging pieces of rope out of your pump. Not my idea of a good time.

Slick
    That is unless you can use the beer bong as a snorkel. Or, if you work real fast, you could always cut the rope through the hand hole. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    [This message has been edited by Slick (edited June 03, 2002).]

rivercrazy
    Or you have a setback pump with the handhole outside the boat.

jordanpaulk
    Originally posted by Slick:
    That is unless you can use the beer bong as a snorkel. Or, if you work real fast, you could always cut the rope through the hand hole. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Good call. Except for this situation:
    Gee officer, that isn't a beer bong, it's a snorkel to untangle my ski rope. Yeah, that's the ticket. What do you mean I don't have a ski rope?
    Guess I need to make a holder to lock the "snorkel" next to the fire extinguisher in case of emergency... I learn so much from these forums. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    jordy
    [This message has been edited by jordanpaulk (edited June 03, 2002).]

78Eliminator
    Sweet Jordan, I will keep that in mind if I ever have that problem. I'll flag you down for the use of the beer bong. Just remember to dump one beer down the funnel every two minutes I am down pulling rope out. I'll pay you back for the beer, I swear!!!

jordanpaulk
    Originally posted by 78Eliminator:
    Sweet Jordan, I will keep that in mind if I ever have that problem. I'll flag you down for the use of the beer bong. Just remember to dump one beer down the funnel every two minutes I am down pulling rope out. I'll pay you back for the beer, I swear!!!
    No problem. Just stop calling me "sweet" I have an image to uphold.

Hallett19
    If you look at the intake grate, it is hard to get anything more than half of your hand in there on most grates, and unless you were to floor it, I don't think it sucks too much water in at idle. And even with half of your hand in there, the impeller is another foot or so past teh grate, it is almost impossble to hurt yourself with a jet drive other than putting your asshole, mouth, nose eyes or ears directly behind the nozzle and tell the driver to "punch it", which if you are dumb enough to do, you probably deserve it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast