Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggestions please?

FMluvswater
    Got a long ride (2 and a half days) on a bus with my 7 year old son ahead of me.
    What do kids like to do to keep from being bored on long rides (car or bus)?
    One concern is low noise (don't wish to annoy other passengers if we can help it - I know sometimes it's unavoidable).
    So far entertainment list is:
    books
    pencil puzzles
    playing cards
    I Spy
    hand held electronic math game (no sound effects)
    As someone pointed out to me ... sure that's fine for first ten minutes on the bus ... now what about the rest of the trip? :idea2:
    Love to hear some ideas from anyone who has kids or anyone who remembers what they themselves liked as a kid.
    Thanks.

Kilrtoy
    Game Boy
    keeps them entertained for hours....

Tom Brown
    gum

Debbolas
    That sounds good FM, because you aren't driving, you can play with him, that should keep him entertained. Are you allowed to eat on the bus? If so I would bring some snacks. I know you will have a great trip!

hoolign
    Hustler is my choice..just don't let him read the jokes..might corrupt him to soon!

Debbolas
    oh, maybe some dramamine in case he gets carsick. Doesn't hurt to take it, we give it to the kids when we travel in the motorhome.....

FMluvswater
    Game Boy
    keeps them entertained for hours....
    He doesn't have a Gameboy .. if he did he'd hound all the adults in his life to play it to "win" the games for him kid hates to lose but likes to watch. He's getting better about that but he's not ready for Gameboy just yet.
    Tom - gum .. it's on the list actually not as entertainment but he will have plenty of it nonetheless (Trident - helps fight cavities )

PHX ATC
    Portable DVD players with a few movies.
    We have a 7" screened portable DVD player. I think you can get them nowadays for around $200 to $250 or so. I'm not sure how long the battery will last, but I believe it was for 4 to 5 hours (I remember reading...) so at least 2 movies. If you have access to a cigarette lighter, mine came with a plug in for that power source.
    Magnetic checkers. Magnetic chess. Magnetic backgammon. Bingo boards with crazy stuff (windmills, dead cows, etc). Travel trivia. Books. Magazines.
    Our 7 year old daughter likes the DVD player.
    Does he like Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars? Bring some of them. Our daughter plays with her little plastic horses and Polly Pocket dolls on truck trips. Maybe some army men or something similar for boys?
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Toby

Big_Gunz_
    I have a 7 yr old too, he always brings his game boy and a portable DVD/CD player (ear phones so he's the only one that can hear the sound). My truck has an adapter to plug into near the rear seat, if the bus doesn't, bring lots of extra batteries.

ahhell
    FM,
    VALIUM, lots of it cuz you can either feed it to him OR take it yourself. Time'll just fly by either way! lol
    Rio>just full of great ideas> puppy
    I agree...enuf for both :smilespi:
    or the gameboy ....do the slug bug thing, just dont hit him too hard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast