hot_diggity_dog
    Charley,
    Comming along nicely!
    All I need is one of those outdrives.
    Keep the pix comming wink
    HDD

TOBTEK
    Charley:
    Well I got home tonight and checked email.... I was expecting to see some feedback from a fellow board member about my dyno but instead I got this Chad at DCB
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0imco_drives-med.JPG[/img]
    This was not part of my deal with Dave, but he orders my drives with POLISHED LOWERS.... how sweet is that?? I'm guessing it's Dave's way of saying thank you for helping him get "best booth" honors at the Boat show...Im so stoked!! Thanks Dave! cant wait to see those mounted on the back. they look sweeeeeet charley you are soo money, and you dont even know it wink

dcb 26 machman
    Very,Very,NICE!!

bigq
    I'm beginning to notice RD that you always have something to say. Take that as a compliment please. wink I don't know about the speed issue, but it would keep them looking nicer. I had a polished jet and it always needed to be polished because the water would dull it so bad.
    Maybe he could use some of that wax that they put on the hull to slick'em up.

dcb 26 machman
    I've been told in the past (and the theory is sound in my mind) that polished lower units can actually scrub some speed off the top end of the boat becuase water likes to stick to something "shiny" and it doesn't stick to a mat finish.. (Alot of intake manifolds and intake sides of the head are mat finish so fuel doesn't stick to the walls for this reason, while the exhaust side are polished)
    Well i have heard what river dave is saying a few times,not really sure if its true or not? If its true i don't think it will hurt that much if any at all. The boat of your boat is glassy smooth as well,and regular bravos and 6 drives have a smooth powdercoated finish.???? Who really knows??????Just my opion.

Charley
    hmmm haven't heard that one before but then again, according to someone else on these boards I'm the village idiot(homer simpson)....so R-Dave ....you and I should get together and talk idiot boat talk... To be honest with ya....even if it's true...this boat should be faster than I want to go 99% of the time....I like em and If I actually lose a mph or 3, I could always buy some of those 5 blades that Tob is marketing with his enormous damned avatar and make it right back up .....
    HH...... haven't seen you around in a while..... I've been on a HB.net diet myself so maybe it's been me who hasn't been around....anyways, If I didn't say it before... thank you for the extra footage, It really helped!
    [ March 13, 2003, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Charley ]

TOBTEK
    YEARS ago when I worked with Bombardier, we had a 3M sales rep that would stop by.And yes he stated MANY times that a smooth riding surface(hull bottom) is slower from the friction of the water. They made a "shark skin" like clear vinyl for The Stars and Stripes racing yacht when Dennis connor was racing it. The skin would trap small amounts of air and create lift, seperating the hull from the water somewhat. Or how about the prototype exuast sysytems that had small outlets in the hulls bottom to also create lift....great idea. BUT as Charley said EVEN IF it is a few MPH slower who cares, It will be fast enough im sure. BTW: is it done yet?

Charley
    Dave is saying he thinks first weekend in April but being a new boat he expects a hiccup or two.... so far it's been smooth...just like my lowers wink

mbrown2
    Charlie, the boat is coming along great and the suprise Polish lowers are slick...get ready to get the polish out....Stop by a truck stop and get a bottle of the "Lazy Man's Polish" I think it is called Magic Mix...shit works.

Craig
    Those do look good Charlie. And that's worth a mph or so
    Near any surface sliding through water, there is a force from water on the surface that tends to oppose the sliding motion. This is called viscous friction, and it is similar to kinetic friction between two surfaces. The reaction force of the surface on the water tends to make the water close to the surface move in the direction of motion of the surface, so that the water at the surface acts like it "sticks" to the surface. Somewhat farther from the surface, the water tends not to be pulled so hard so it does not move so fast, and very far from the surface, the water will be still.
    The smooth surface will give up some to the slightly rough one. That surface on a golf ball is there to break up the boundry layer. I read two reasons Chysler used vinyl tops on their Superbirds for NASCAR were one, they didn't have to spend as much time finishing the lead roof/quarter panel seam and two, the vinyl top texture would loosen the car up at 200 mph!
    Texture includes the dimples on a golfball, fuzz on a tennisball, seams on a baseball. In each case, the presence of texture will cause the boundary layer to become turbulent sooner, making the critical resistance lower than for a smooth object.
    Craig