Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '92- 27' Fountain Fever a good boat to buy?

craig kittleson
    I'm looking at purchasing a 1992 Fountain Fever 27'. I was told that alot of splash and/or water enters the back of the boat when slowing or under rough water conditions. It is equipped with a 502. Will it run over 65 mph stock? I have the oportunity to pick up a Fountain 24s instead for the same price but the boat sounds a little small for me. Any suggestions comments regarding these two boats would be helpful since I dont know alot about Fountains.

Steamin' Rice
    go to www.offshoreonly.com and ask the same question. A lot of fountain people hand out over there.
    The boat for you will depend on your budget and how you plan to use the boat....

powerplay230
    Deciding factor should be based upon how you plan on using boat and in what type of conditions. Haven't heard much negative about Fountains, IMO if offered the choice between the 24 and 27 for same price I would go with the 27' as their boats by design are pretty small interior wise to begin with. NADA retail shows $17-21K range, BUC book shows $24 retail with base 385hp/502. If you go to the Offshoreonly Forums there is a section of just Fountain owners/comments that would probably be more than happy to give info' on speed and water over transom questions.. Good luck,
    Rick

playdeep
    ...A friend of mine has a 92,27ft. Fountain.
    When he purchased the boat it had a 502(carb) and ran 52-55 mph at 4500ft. altitude.
    That year was a non stepped bottom,and it IS a heavy boat.Handles rough water well.
    The cockpit is equal to that of most 23-25 ft.v-bottoms,it is really small.
    I do seem to remember a substantial amount of water coming up onto the rear deck whenever he slowed abruptly.
    He eventually motored up to a blown 540 and it now runs close to 80.
    If you want pm me and I can give you his ph.# to get his feedback..
    Mychal

craig kittleson
    Thanks for the info-all of you. I could not get on this site yesterday did any body else have that problem?

craig kittleson
    Hey Powerplay 230 is 33k for a 300hr excellent shape fresh water with trailer too much $$ If so I'd better do some research on boats before buying. Ive owned a boat for 22 years, sold mine last week and now I got the shakes I cant believe how much of our summer is based around boats!

powerplay230
    Craig,
    Values I gave were just quoting NADA and Buc Value, have to take them with a grain of salt I know the Buc values are ridiculous high but a lot of banks go by those. I bought my boat with 149 hours on it and was about 5 years old I think lack of use does more damage than frequent careful use. Have friends with the Sheriff's department and they put 1000 or so hours a year on their 502 powered Scarab with just regular maintenance. Mine- original 454 was replaced way before 200 hrs and after regular m.o.h.s replaced that with a 502. Ever since I started running it more often I have had less problems.
    Back to determining value- consider a survey if someone local is reccomended and knows that type of boat, look at Ebay, look at Boat Trader, get my drift...if that boat is gorgeous and healthy then the book values go out the window. Didn't someone say it's worth whatever someone will pay for it. If I can be of any help email or pm...

craig kittleson
    Ill keep my eyes open. I have been watching for boats and thank you for your imput. This site is really awsome just like all boaters no matter what part of the country they all seem to have alot in common...

powerplay230
    I know where there is an old Velocity 30' with twin 454 for sale near here, $16k for BMT is an older boat but has recent paint/interior and runs good. I found on EBay, didn't sell, talked to owner than "wife talked back to me".. should be much faster than the 27' Fountain and a less money to start out with...
    :argue: us then me- :cry: when she said NO..lol.

craig kittleson
    Well I committed to the fountain I got pic sent and I like it. Im going to try my whipple on it for a little extra push . Leaving monday for a lake in MO to try it. thanks for your help.. ck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast