Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Accident on I-10 in AZ

Boatcop
    Just got a news flash. Major accident on Interstate 10, west of Phoenix.
    At least 4 Semi trucks, a tour bus and several passenger vehicles collide in heavy dust storm.
    I-10 is closed for an indefinite amount of time in the area of Tonopah/Wintersburg Road. (about MP 114)
    More to come when details come out.

Boatcop
    And what the hell happened to my signature link?????

Ziggy
    And what the hell happened to my signature link?????
    I think you need to change <these> to [these] again

Boatcop
    Thanks!
    What other glitches can we find in this new format?

Floored
    Hey, they didn't take your DOUGHNUTS :cry: it ain't all bad. thanks for the heads-up on the accident as I travel that way alot. :yuk: have a safe night

fourspeednup
    Shiat...that's no good. I've cruised that section of freeway a lot and always wondered what would happen if the sh!t hit the fan. Sounds like some peeps are gonna be stuck for awhile and wish everyone involved the best :frown:

Craig
    Saw it on the news last night, 3 miles from my work exit on the 10, looked pretty bad, didn't even know the number of casualties as of 9 PM

Boatcop
    As of this morning (6:00 AM) the west bound I-10 is still closed, and the east bound has only one lane open.
    Reported 2 fatalities and more than 30 injured. 16 semi trucks, a dozen or so cars and a passenger bus involved.
    Looks like I'm taking US 60 to my meeting in Peoria this morning.

PHX ATC
    I was at work last night when this happened. I work in the air traffic control tower at Sky Harbor Airport with a view to die for. It was a major storm that came down from the northwest and north. The wind was initially gusting to 20 knots, then was sustained at 30 knots for over 10 minutes, until finally settling into a 22 knot sustained front for about 30 minutes. Of course accompanied with this was the typical AZ wall of dust. The frontal wall was extremely thick and as it thinned out, it still carried pretty well into the actualy storm cell. Visibility was less than 1/4 mile at one point, then increased a wee bit. Planes wouldn't land nor takeoff as it exceeded their manufacturer's requirements for a crosswind.
    Actually the cell that came out towards Buckeye was 30% larger (at least on the Doppler RADAR), so it was probably worse than the one that harpooned the airport. It usually is a nasty mess as most folks don't know how to drive or what to do in a dust storm.

Boozer
    What are you suppose to do if driving and you run into one of these things? Just pull over and wait it out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast