Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two speed transmission?

kranedoc
    it shifts smooth. example i was criusing about 50 mph acc. shifted it to nuetral engine revd a little bit put back in gear just like a car nice & smoth. i have a 26 xp open bow. i will look for pics. the trans moves the motor forward about 18 inches.i will never own a high hp boat with out a trans & speedmaster,arneson or similar. ihave had imco, bmax, outdrives. broke them both.nothing like mashing the gas full throttle out of the hole and hitting 2 gear.out at the river there are guys with these hp motors and mod drives and there still babying out of the hole. imallready hitting 2 gear trm tabs up.a little more exp. but woth the price in the long run.like haveing a blown street car with a chevy 8 inch instead of putting the ford 9 inch in.

Bob Hostetter
    I have no idea what the Mercury teams are using nowadays, it is probably dictated by class rules. Plus the offshore boats all go from a rolling start so the need for extra low end grunt is not very great. Where they tend to have problems is when re-entering the water after getting airborne. You need to roll back the gas on re-entry or you will break the outdrives.
    I don't know anybody anymore at Mercury. I got out of the boat business back in the mid 80's for a civil service job with a retirement package. I just retired and got back into the boat business a couple of months ago. I like customers who own outdrives, but I personally own only v-drives at least for the last 20 years (Hallet 20' v-drive mini cruiser).
    I think if a guy had the time and the money a fairly decent hot rod outdrive setup could be built. There is a lot of new technology available to improve the gears, and shafts (Cyro and heat treating) in the outdrive but you are still going to be left with the problem of the housing flexing. Currently Mercurys answer to the breakage problem is not so much improving the design or materials used but just increasing the size and bulk of the components. Its one of the advantages of pretty much owning the outdrive market, no competition from another maker to force you to improve your product. As it is now, they are making a fortune in fixing the ones that break...........

Thank's for the info Hoss
    Kranedoc, I would like to see the pics if you can find them. You said that you don't use a converter but a clutch lookig thing? What is it?How do you mount the trany to the drive? Thank for the help. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

wsuwrhr
    Its one of the advantages of pretty much owning the outdrive market, no competition from another maker to force you to improve your product. As it is now, they are making a fortune in fixing the ones that break...........
    I keep saying I need to get into the hot outdrive market.
    Brian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123