Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Removing painted on hull numbers...what worked for me, with pics.

Mighty Thor
    you do realize that it takes twice as long to read your posts as the others! I can only use one eye to read the words, for some strange reason the other one keeps wandering off to one side. Gives me a hell of a headache after about a half hour.

Riverkid
    Just watch out for the EZ-Off drippage - it WILL stain any of your anodized fittings if it gets to them (rubrails, cleats etc.)...

magic29
    Once you removed the numbers and cleaned the area could you see any sign of the old numbers?
    Iam looking at a boat the has large letters on the side of the boat and I need a way to remove the airburshed paint.
    Iam not going to repaint in its place.

Mandelon
    There wasn't any outline of the old numbers visible on my hull, but it was less than a year old when I got it, and did the work. If the hull has faded, it would be possible to see the old outline.
    I took off some vinyl trim tape off my first boat years ago, and you could see where it used to be..... Maybe test a small area first???

magic29
    Thanks
    The boat is a 03 with 50 hrs under a dock or covered during summer and inside during the winter.
    I will see if the owner will try a spot.

ccfdland
    I used the EZ off method yesterday to remove registration numbers and it worked perfect. A couple of sprays and a Rebel Rewards card to scrape. Thanks for the instructions HBers.

SCR INC
    I used the EZ off method yesterday to remove registration numbers and it worked perfect. A couple of sprays and a Rebel Rewards card to scrape. Thanks for the instructions HBers.
    EZ off did the trick on my old boat... i took off a rather large name on the side of the baot.... No big deal... I just covered the trailer..

bikerboater
    Just as a side note, oven cleaner works good on cleaning up grease , sludge and burn carbon from engine parts too if you don't want to pay for hot tanking. Spray it on real good & let it set a bit then hit it with the garden hose. I had some numbers painted on my boat when I first got it & they looked hideous. I wiped them back off with plain old lacquer thinner. Didn't hurt the gell but then they weren't on there that long. Usually well cured urethane clearcoat is pretty impervious to lacquer thiner. It may dull slightly but can be buffed back after it resets. Blaster makes a decal & sticker remover that works well also. And finally, auto paint stores usually carry paint remover for fiberglass. Used mostly on Corvettes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123