Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 502 Performance ?

BBC502
    Hi gang, new to the forum. I run a 1986 20' Miller open bow. Last spring I purchased a 502/502 to replace the old tired 330hp/454 workhorse. I pulled it apart and retorqued everything. Sent the alum. heads to Ed Hale (San Diego)for porting,surfacing and cleanup. I had Crower regrind the cam to .563 Int. and 585 Exh. Put it all together and had Ed dyno tune it. 600 torque at 4200 and 540 HP at 5400. Ed detuned for the weather conditions (dynoe'd at 60 degrees and 50% humidity)at the the river (Martinez Lake/Fisher's Landing). Pump has not been reworked,Berkeley JC-A impeller. Runs 67 mph(GPS) at 5200 RPM (wot). Question; The pump will be reworked this winter, it seems to pull alright but it is 15 years old. Does the A impeller apppear to be right? Is the speed seem to be right for the combination-engine,pump and boat? Sorry for being so long windeed the the first time on the forum.........

Rat Raft
    Your rpm is probably about where you want it and your economy will be better with a A than a B. Since you will probably loose a little rpm with the rebuild I wouldn't go with anything bigger. Who do you plan to have do your pump or are you going to do yourself?

BBC502
    Thanks for the reply, I already bought a JG from CP Performance. It has an A impeller with a stuffer and the clearances were tighten up by machining the shaft? I decided to get away from the JC and jetovator(to many leakage problems) and go with a JG, droop snoot(may not do anything for performance but it looks good!!)and a place diverter. The economy with the 502 is much better than the old 454. I would liket to hit the 75-80 mph range...........

flat broke
    Congrats on the motor. I was looking at your HP and torque numbers and couldnt help wondering what your torque numbers are at 5200. The reason I ask is that Rat Raft is right about loosing a couple RPM with the tighter pump, but if your big torque numbers are down lower, it might be interesting to look at the impeller selection a little more before going for the A. How much speed do you pick up between 4200 and 5200? If its not that much, maybe an AA wouldn't be totally out of the question. Either way, there are some good pump guys in Ca, so I'm sure you could bounce the idea off someone and get some professional input as well.
    Chris

Old Charger
    Hey BBC...
    What'd ya do with the 454?

Brendella
    hey what did you do with the old berk. are you interested is selling.

fryzll
    Hey BBC502, I really like those Millers. My dad bought a 81 21 mini day cruiser new but sold it 3 yaers later. There is a really nice blue on black ( same color as my pops boat) running around down here, I have a trailer at Hidden Shores. Anyway those Millers allways catch my eye so let me know what color it is and I will keep an eye out for ya http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif.
    Chris

BBC502
    Thanks for your responses;
    Flat Broke: The torque #'s range from 440 at 3,000 to 520 to 5,600 rpm. I'll be at the river this w/e and will check speed at 4,200.
    Old Charger and Brendella: I still have both but I'm not looking to sell either right now. You 2 will be the 1st to know if I do decide to sell.
    Fryzll: Miller's are good boats-several of my friends own them-I know of 2 black and blue Millers both are closed bow,1 is 19' and the other is 20'. I redid mine 3 years ago. It's white with a blue stripe (various shades). It also has a full width engine cover with blue strip going from 1 side to the other. My wife usually has the stereo speakers setting on the engine cover playing very loud!!!! Most people don't recognize it as a Miller. If you spot it I'll probably be the guy with the Greg Norman(Golfer)type hat on playing horse shoes. Swing by and say hi!!!! P.S. we are usually up river from Martinez.............

Clutch
    Hey BBC502
    Do you know the spec's on the cam in your 330hp 454? I have a 79 Headcraft w/ the same motor but have no info. on it. Any info would be very helpful. Thank you

BBC502
    Hi Clutch, I've never had the 330 hp 454 apart. If I were to guess I would say the cam lift is somewhere between .440 and .475. The heads on mine are the 049's-these can be reworked to produce some decent torque #'s and if you want to replace the small valves (2.06 int and 1.72 exh)with some 2.19 int and 1.88 exh you can get some decent HP. If your looking for some more performance I would install a little bigger cam, around .500 -.525,make sure your valve springs can handle the lift(or buy the cam package which includes cam,valve springs, timing chain and lifters-$300+-)add a decent alum. dual plane aftermarket intake manifold. Make sure your ignition system is good and let it rip. Reality is this will put you in the 375-400 hp range....I probably went beyond what you wanted to know........BBC502

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast