Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 460 FORD w/tunnel ram 750's or single 850???

jroos
    I`m running electric and mechanical. I was told I needed 2 pressure regulators and 2 electric pumps, but I believe that is just adding more "show" . I am running a Holley blue electric and carter mechanical. 2 inline filters from each tank that meet to a water seperator. Personally i really think the 60`s are the way to go, but as stated i already have a 750. Summit has a kit already for you with the linkage for about 650! I`d jump on that. Who knows as I have yet to order, I may got that route(600`S) AS WELL.

76Tahiti460
    Well I just spoke with Jet Performance in Huntingbeach and they said for $495.00 each he could set-up two 650 DP 4150 carbs matched to the motor's cam, and both identically tuned together, and for another $250 each, powder coat the body and metering blocks, then chrome the bowls base plate and linkage NOT BAD FOR the kick ass river image everyone looks up to. Plus they warranty the work..Call them up 1-714-848-5500, they want your cam specs before they will build you your carb, can't beat that kind of meticulous attention...What do you guy's think?

jroos
    Tahiti, that`s 1500 just on carbs. Dude, buy an intake and 1150 dominator! Then get the 400 hp Nitros kit! Hell if it ain`t tall, you`ll smoke everyone on the river.

Rat Raft
    I bought my boat from a friend of mine who had bought it with it not running. It had a TR W/ 750 dp carbs on it. He couldnt get it to run right so he bought a edlebrock single carb intake and I loaned him a 750 vs holley. He got it running and decieded not to keep it so I bought it and got my carb back. I ran it for most of two seasons this way and decieded to put the TR back on. I rebuilt the 750 DP's and got it running but they were just too big. It would run full RPM at a little past half throttle. The rest of it was just dead. I sold the 750DP's to a blower guy who is still running them so there was nothing wrong with the carbs. I put 750VS carbs on and it ran a lot better. I had a couple of 600 VS carbs laying around so I decieded to try them. It was much more responsive and gained 200 rpm. I would try some 450's if I could find some cheap that I could play with. My engine starts fine but is a little slower to start than with the single carb. It uses about the same ammount of fuel. It idles about the same. I gained a little rpm and some midrange power over the single 4 but only with the 600 carbs. To run 2 carbs you need to increase the accelarator squirter size and if they are vs you need to hook the secondary vacumn diaphrams together. I run 66 Jets in the primries and 70's in the secondaries. Mine are mounted sideways. I run the center hung float bowls so they look just like the big ones. My engine is a 427 chevy 11.5-1 rectangle port heads w/2.3 intakes 1.94 ex. 603/629 solid cam
    If you dont like to mess with things and just want it to run great first time out go with one carb. If you like to tinker with it and dont mind the hassle of two go for the TR with SMALL carbs. Oh yeah mine will run fine on one holley blue pump but I have one on each tank that I can run at the same time if I want.

TX19
    76....I have run a Weiand tunnel ram on a 460 with twin 600's, 660's, 750's, and 1150's, and with a single carb top with an 850, a dual plane Motorsport with an 850, a Port-o-Sonic single plane with the 850 and an Edelbrock Victor Jr. with an 850, 1050, and 1150. My favorite is the Victor Jr. because it run's as good or better (for me) and doesn't require as much maintenance (for everyone). Second choice is the Port-o-Sonic for the same reasons.
    If you want the high look of the tunnel ram, have you considered the single 4 top on a tunnel ram? If I wasn't real handy with a wrench, like being able to rebuild the carbs and install them yourself, I would not even consider the 2 fours...just my preference...
    tainted by experience.

NordicSquirt
    The tunnel ram thing is great, but how many Super Comp dragsters run a Tunnel Ram. None. They all run Single plane manifolds with Dominators. In my opinion, the Tunnel Ram idea went out a long time ago. There is a formula somewhere that calculates ideal CFM for a motor. On a warmed up engine(400-500 ci.) the ideal CFM would be less than 800 cfm. Why waste the time and money on such an elaborate setup? You are talking about 1500 cfm, and $1500 for the hardware. Either you have more money than sense, or are just hell bent on this TR idea. Do what you want, but I will be passing by you with just ONE carb.Good luck.

76Tahiti460
    NordicSquirt I don't doubt your observations or theory, I know it to be very true. I have yet to see one TR on a dragster, mostly all blown fuel injected, or high rise single planes with spacers and a stout flusher on top, maybe with NOS. But, based on this poll that I have conducted, and a good one it has been, I think I am going to attempt the TR with 600 Holley 1850's VS. I noticed the familiar linkage problem come up here and there, but that is just problem that needs to be better researched instead of Summits little TR package which in my opinion is RAWWer than casting in a mold (hence the words at the bottom of there ad....needs tuneing, modifications, and fabricateing). I think both set-ups work in theory but the TR seems to be a little more costly, yeah $1500.00 for carbs is crazy, and I am avoiding that, and the set-up takes more patience and time, and some maybe 3 cases of beer verses a six-pack it would take to put together a single carb with manifold....But it boils down to this....I LOVE Jetboating and drag racing "almost" more than I love drinking beer, so tinkering everyday on my boat and "stang" makes me feel like a true fan of the sport/hobbie. I do thank you for your advice and I plan to do a set-up such as that, so when I pull up to you in Parker, I'll make sure and ask you to put your money where your mouth is, or at least a keg! and I almost sure you'll be up the challenge, and then...and only then...will I feel that I have exhausted all resources in building my project, because you'll be asking me then..."Hey 76Tahiti460?" Damn that was a huge Rooster! ....and a sea story was born....
    [This message has been edited by 76Tahiti460 (edited August 21, 2001).]

jaqquuuz
    I run with duals on top side mounted holleys and the key factor here is getting your carbs built to match your motor. What ever you decide to put up top go the extra mile and have your carb worked on by someone who knows how to set it up for motor you will be glad you did.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by NordicSquirt:
    ...There is a formula somewhere that calculates ideal CFM for a motor. On a warmed up engine(400-500 ci.) the ideal CFM would be less than 800 cfm...
    I believe the formula is:
    (Cubic Inches) divided by (# of cylinders) x (4*) = cubic inches of air per crankshaft revolution
    Divide that by 1728 = cubic feet of air per crankshaft revolution
    Multiply that number by the maximum RPMs = maximum CFMs
    If we use 460 cubes @ 6,000 RPMs as an example:
    460/8 x 4 = 230/1728 = 0.1331 x 6,000 = 798.61 CFMs
    This formula does not take into account air density.
    http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy25.gif
    *4 stroke engine

NordicSquirt
    Tahiti, do you take constuctive criticism in a negative way? YOU asked the questions, and we were simply responding with personal experiences we have already been through. Some enjoy the tunnel ram, some don't. I don't because I am more experienced with single carb applications (Drag Motors, Circle Track Racing, and Street Driven Vehicles). In my opinion, your FREE advice just ran out. Do you go to local speed/boat shops and ask or respond to situations like this? Good luck.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast