Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 460 FORD w/tunnel ram 750's or single 850???

ponponracing
    Hi Ray,
    you're right about carb. size with that tunnel ram deal. But, because there's always a but, the dyno always (or almost always) showed that motors give more power by being overcarburated. But (again) it was at the cost of drivability when in a street car. Closer you are from the exact cfm requirements and better low end you get from your motor. In a boat, it's a different story since you are always looking for top end and you don't really care about low end. I never really fine tuned in a tunnel ram drag racing car so please don't considere my opinion for that situation.
    Always nice discussing with you, and I hope we can help boaters looking for hints. I always wonder if we give appreciated hints. Do you feel like I do?

Racing Ray
    jroos
    I am not quite sure why you are directing your comments and questions to me in your last post but I will do my best to respond.
    "Ray, I understand on a performance level, but I really don`t care how fast I am. I already know that I`m in the 70`s. That`s fine with me. I`m never gonna be the baddest, learned it from cars, always someone will beat you! I just wanna relax, look cool, have a good time, and want my boat to turn heads like a MOTHER! Get the point?"
    Finally a question! Yes I do get the point. In fact I have a 24 year old son that image is everything to as well. I figure some day he will outgrow it, you probably will too.
    "If I wanted to kick ass here in LA, I`d a bought a bass boat and converted it to a light weight haul ass missle. I like my beeers, and so do all my friends."
    I totally agree for a lot less money you could have a bass boat going much faster. I also think it would be a bore I never have cared for the sounds of a 2 stroke myself. Had I built a fast bass boat my only thoughts would be "Just think I coulda had a V-8".
    "I don`t want to pull up at the launch and worry about scrathes and driving a big ass offshore rig home. Hell, I had a good day and want to sleep!"
    I personally wouldn't want a boat bigger than the 21 footer I have now. Sounds like your having a few of those beeers and a very good day perhaps you should go to sleep.
    "I live in the real world, not BS, v-drives are a lot of work, especially on a circuit! Don`t try and tell me different."
    I am not sure if you are trying to infer here that I am full of BS or not, you will have to explain this further. The last V-drive I owned was hardly any work at all. I loved the old hot rod and it was a real head turner too. The family did not fit in it to well, at the time with 3 babies it was hard for the wife and I to hang on to all 3 at once. As far as trying to "tell you anything" I would not even pretend to be that bold. I don't tell anybody anything on these forums. I try to share my knowledge and experiance when I feel it might apply to someones search for information. Take it or leave it that is up to you or whomever I offered advice to.
    "I use to run cars, that were
    street legal. If you can`t show it off then it ain`t worth havin`."
    There are lots of things in this life worth having and I have never felt the need to show them off. I have always felt that if you do something good enough others will brag for you. I get more pleasure from this. Somehow it seems to mean more.
    "That`s it."
    This seems to be your closure. I read into this you have finally gotten something off your chest and feel better now? I am glad for you. Tell me something did I do something to you in another life? I reviewed this topic and nowhere do I even see where I referred to you or commented to you in any form. Yet you dedicated your entire post to me.

Racing Ray
    PonPon
    Your advice is always well thought out and solid. As you said there is always an exception to every rule. I very much look forward to your posts and I know a lot of others here do as well!!! Keep them coming!!
    I have learned quite a bit from you and others on this forum in reguards to boats and I know Drag Racing dosent apply here but engines do. What I can I try to share. I don't worry if others care to believe what I say or not. It is usually just my humble opinion. I have been wrong before and I know we never stop learning.

Jetmugg
    The best looking/running Ford powered jet I've seen and ridden in had a TR with dual holley 450's on top. With the smaller 450 cfm carbs, this thing was crisp when starting, and ran great up to about 5400 rpms, which got a low porfile Tahiti well into the 70's.
    My vote - set up a TR with two 450 cfm holleys.
    Steve

jroos
    Ray, I just saw the post from the other night, yes I was having some of those beers then. I didn`t want the post to sound like I was bashing you, but it did. sorry. What I was trying to say was that I don`t care about high horse power. just the look. If I didn`t care about the looks and just wanted speed , then an outboard would have been my choice. A jet can`t beat a prop. You came on late in the TR discussion, this has been kicked around for the past month. You came on with line locks and drag cars. I don`t get it? Again, not bashing you just came into discussion a little late with a whole bunch of technicalities about drag cars and nothing to do with a jet and TR. Line locks on a boat? I have the High Fire 4c box and no I didn`t hook up the orange wire(line lock). That`s all dude, relax, I`m not bashing just explaining and apologizing for directed wording or post.

jroos
    Wrightnow, awsome. The top looks exactly like my southwind yet the bottom looks more like a Sleekcraft GT, almost. Who manufactured this hull?

wrightnow
    The hull is a California Performance 18'6, a little small for the lake but a great river boats. This is my second season with the boat on the water and has been nothing but fun (great family ski boat with alot of performance in mind) California Perfomance also makes a 19'6 that has a lot more room.

Racing Ray
    Jroos
    I have been very careful to keep cars out of any discussions I have here and if you go back and reread the posts I was not the one who brought drag cars into this discussion Nordicsquirt did so I felt compelled to address his remarks concerning them. My advice has nothing to do with cars but with high performance engines and the use of a TR. Quite a few of these guys not only like to look impressive but also enjoy water skiing. This takes a TR set up right. Pau hanna, and asta la vista.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345