Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about these mufflers-

DaveA
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...6008_7-med.JPG
    I would like to know more about this setup-
    Who makes them?
    What are the results with them? Worth it?
    Where can you get them?
    Are the headers typical Bassetts, or are severe modifications required to mount them?
    How mucho dinero must one invest? New? Used, anybody?

drysumpjet
    Those mufflers are on Jack's alcohol fueled Stealth. Kojak is also using these on his Stealth too, right Kojak? I think they came up with this setup back around 6 years ago. Obviously the exhaust has seen considerable heat. I think they are Borlas, and are welded on Rewarder blower headers. Clamps may work too. These mufflers were marketed for automotive use and is similiar to glasspack construction but all stainless steel. The screen that holds the stainless mesh in place is smooth (nonrestrictive). The inside diameter of the screen is the same as the header outlet, appearing to be very nonrestrictive. If I remember correctly, there is a straight baffle inside, parrallel to the pipe, that doesn't "spin" the spent gasses like some of the other header mufflers. Jack added the drip shields on the outlet. These mufflers do drop the noise considerably at idle and cruising, much more so than what's typically available on the market for OTs. The tone is mellow and very deep, quite differerent for a boat. Wide open, it's hard to judge. One opinion is the look of the substantial presence of these mufflers may result in less questioning from the authorities. Personnally, I like the setup and may go with something simliar too. Jack doesn't do computers, I probably will see him this weekend & get additional details.

miketsouth
    Joe, im working on exactly the same thing for Mighty Mouse. I just got some waterjacketed Stellings, 36"x1.75" tubes. They are monsters at 40lbs each. (i hope they wake up the motor, them logs just aint cutting it).
    I got the adapter plates, very nice from Dynamax.
    I intended to use them to preheat the block, but i dont know if i want to sacrifice the pump flow on an already challenged setup. Dry Schoenfelds would have been the cheepest, lightest way to go, but i dont like the idea of getting burned, or worse someone else getting burned.
    They are used, in great shape, but have no tailpiece. What i have to adapt to is a 2.25"x3.8xxOD or so stainless nozzle. I have to go about 20" or so to clear the transom.
    Readily available is 4.00" OD stainless tubing SCH5 (.085" wall) 316L stainless which i could tig a bung into, but there would be no muffler. I would have to make that with a dam to try to limit revrsion. At 3.5lbs per foot it is pretty heavy. I got to count the LBS.
    An option is a "riceboy" muffler with a 4" tip. All over EBAY cheep. I thought i might turn that bad boy around, weld in a bung, gut the cheep glass and put some SS wool in there and seal back the edge. The ID of the perforated section might only be 2.50" though, i dont know. Hard to get them guys to answer any questions.
    Also, "WV Wayne" told me to get some advice on what "lake speed" is, said the guys at Anna could help me out :devil: (he give me all kinds of grief for putting a small block in it).

drysumpjet
    Hey Mike,
    To keep the tailpiece/muffler assembly as light as possible, will a Basset header muffler fit inside your proposed 4" stainless tailpiece? Think I need a lesson on lakespeed myself. :rollside:

miketsouth
    Yes, i believe the bassett style mufflers would fit into the proposed SS tube extensions.
    Right now i got to take the headers to the machine shop to get the flanges planed. I dont intend to use gaskets. I got a ton of port matching to make the Stahl header adapter plates necessary to put large tube headers on the SBC to work.
    I dont think a near stock SBC is really that flow challenged. It is HP challenged, as you saw. Another option was Stove Pipe, Chimney Liner, and i was talking to some sheet metal guys at work about making me something.
    I still aint got it all figured out. Wont be for a couple of weeks, looks like.
    Whatever, i sure hope to see you again this summer. Oh, yeah, WV Wayne said Dale probably had the most information on lake speed. And i want to see his Stirling P/F.

kojac
    Dave,
    I spoke to jack this weekend regarding where he purchased the 4&1/2" mufflers for our stealths. He could not remember the number for the supplier but he promised to search for it and when he acquires it I will post it here.
    The mufflers are not borlas. I recommend welding them on instead of using the band. Jack and I tried the band but they leaked oil and water exhaust debris all over the stern of the boat.
    They are stainless steel and the mufflers tend hold the water in them since they were originally designed for drag car applications rather then marine use.
    I have found no no horsepower restriction and the water police tend to let me go by(relatively) more often without stopping me when they obviously can see the mufflers even though the engine is kinda loud.
    One of the times I was stopped this summer the officer Questioned the mufflers and loud noise (his words) and I said "ya shoulda heard em before I installed these nice quiet mufflers". One of the officers wanted to know how I could stand the noise and I just told him that I had recorded the sound of my exhaust to digital stereo and use it to put me to sleep at night.
    Dale
    ps. Jack just called and supplied the following info.
    Raptor Racing Silencers at www.rraptorsracing.com
    Phone number is or was 1-877-raptor1
    He said they were in Pennsylvania but wanted to move to Cali. He don' t know If they did or not. Hope this helps. Let me know...?

kojac
    Mike,
    Radared a 18 ft sunkiss with a small block 383 stroker and 671 wiend blower with a single dominator at 106 miles and hour yesterday. Not too shabby for a smallblock.
    Dale. :jawdrop:

miketsouth
    Mike,
    Radared a 18 ft sunkiss with a small block 383 stroker and 671 wiend blower with a single dominator at 106 miles and hour yesterday. Not too shabby for a smallblock.
    Dale. :jawdrop:
    Thats what i'm talking about. All i want is 70 or so. I enjoy the weight reduction and the ride of the Cheyenne with the small block. Really gets up on top of the rough water at speed.
    I wont have a blower. Cant afford it. I would like turbo, but even that is rather expensive to do so it looks good and is properly functional. Right now i can run pump gas, get good ( ~3mpg) gas mileage and take relatively rough water.
    Sound control is coming. I'm working on it now, trying to meet the demand without limiting my already challenged setup.
    and i want to see that Sterling P/F. Mikey showed me a pic of it some months ago, and tells me that you still have it and it is setup very nicely.
    Thanks for getting the info. Going there now.
    mikeT

kojac
    Mike,
    I still have the sterling. It is a 1100 # tunnel 19Ft long.
    I use it to try stuff that want to experiment with when one of my friends or I get a wild idea that might make the boats go faster. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't but the fun is in the trying. Right now I have a 572 cu incher in it 13 &1/2 compression big roller with two dominators and all jessel roller train system. Haven't used it much last year and none at all this year due to knee injury.
    Just got some cam 11 the other day and readjusted the valves to start her up for some R&D. Last run radared at 117 mph in the quarter with the laughin gas on a 509 motor. This 572 turns as much rpms without the nitrous as the 509 did with it.
    set back the pump and put bubble on the bottom and want to experiment with the bottom and pump hardware some more before I put the bottle on this motor. Should be fun if I can get the old knee to hold up on the concrete
    Dale..

DansBlown73Nordic
    MIKE, I have a set of Jacketed Stellings transom tubes. They are about 4 ft long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast