Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stereo help

phebus
    Haven't gotten to the bottom of the problem yet, but the woofer working/not working is an intermittent one. When I went out this morning the woofer did not work. After fiddling around with various things, it started working, and continues to work. This definitely makes me think I have a loose connection somewhere, now I just have to find it.
    Secondly, I am not sure if the system is wired for the best performance or not. Off of a Rockford Fosgate Punch 800 amp, I am running a pair of Alpine 6x9 speakers at the back of the boat, and a pair of Alpine 6x9's in the mid section of the boat Then, at the bow of the boat, I have a pair of Alpine 6.5's wired off the head unit. You have to have the PWR IC set on for them to play.
    Does this sound right? Since the boat is here in Havasu, I think a trip to Car Toyz is in my future, but I want to wait till after boating season so I don't have to miss a day on the water.
    Thanks to all that have responded,
    Rick

Mr. Naudio
    Does this sound right? Since the boat is here in Havasu, I think a trip to Car Toyz is in my future, but I want to wait till after boating season so I don't have to miss a day on the water.
    Iam going to have to assume the boat is on the water.
    In which case I apologize for not seeing this sooner as I just returned from 3 days on the water (little vacation).
    Would have been more than happy to look at for ya.
    If this is not the case though,I will be at the shop Saturday morning at seven.
    We do not require an appointment for troubleshooting.(Or payment)
    If the boat is on the water give me a call Sat. 928-680-0203

phebus
    I am back from Havasu, but will be back in a couple of weeks. The stereo was installed prior to me buying the boat, and I would like you to look it over, and suggest ways to improve on it. You ill be seeing me soon.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Havasu Hangin'
    I'm gonna lean toward the RCAs. In boats, I have had trouble in the past with the small wires in the center getting brittle and breaking (from flexing), causing what you are describing. I'd bring a spare RCA set, and try it out. You can test them with an ohmmeter, but if the problem is intermitant, it may not surface on the meter.
    My second thought would be some broken solder...but that's tougher to find.
    Make sure you zip-tie everything tight when you put it back together.
    As for the speakers, if they are 4 ohm, wiring all six off the amp will give you a 1.3 ohm load...which will probably overheat that Rockford Hotplate amp.
    For maximum performance, perhaps another amp?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12