Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush take two.

Blown 472
    6 Million to Lose Over Time Pay
    And the AFL-CIO is estimating some six million workers could lose overtime pay when new federal rules go into effect on Monday. The new rules allow employers to exempt from overtime pay most workers making a salary above about $23, 660. The Bush administration circumvented Congress and changed the rules through the federal regulatory process. And though the Senate voted twice since April to block the changes, House Republican leaders blocked moves to overturn the new rules.

572Daytona
    Two sides to every story:
    The Labor Department says no more than 107,000 workers will lose overtime eligibility from the changes, but about 1.3 million will gain it.
    I suspect reality is somewhere in the middle but who knows. My company stopped paying me OT a long time ago and now doesn't even give me comp time. They pretty much expect me to work 45-50 hrs/week for my salary. I guess that makes up for the time I screw around on the interent :messedup:

eliminatedsprinter
    The AFL- CIO, now there's an unbiased, objective, and honest source of info. LOL.....

HighRoller
    Just changing OT back from 40 hrs a week to 8 hrs a day. Labor unions are bitching because now they have to work 5 8's instead of 4 10's. Lazy fukks.

RUCAV
    I know there was some concern about public (civil) services losing OT, but thats all been changed and from what I have read, only a very small portion will actually lose anything. Good, I love me some OT.

chub
    HighRoller, Let me get this straight. So when your in bed comfy cozy on Saturday night at 0200 and I'm at work maintaining a major banks data center so billions of dollars can be transacted daily. I shouldn't be getting OT? To that I say thank God I'm union. cause without the OT your money ain't goin nowhere. Lazy? only on my time!

AzDon
    Folks around here are always saying a person should better themselves and are against welfare, medicare, afdc, unemployment insurance, a living minimum wage,osha, labor boards, eeoc, overtime wages, collective bargaining, and unions. Often these same people argue in favor of exporting jobs and importing workers.
    While skilled and semi-skilled jobs are being exported or filled by illegals, the jobs that are left are being cut and refilled at continually declining wages.
    Bettering oneself is always a vague ideal that nobody seems to be willing to provide a roadmap to. Exactly how does an entry-level person advance without starving to death first?
    My free-market argument against this is that eventually there will be no market for "discretionary" goods when all the "discretionary" income has been pulled back.
    My more personal, heartfelt argument, though, is that:
    About 135 years ago, southern plantation owners imported, trained, housed, clothed, and fed alien workers from Africa, and believed it was their privelege to protect their "investment" in these individuals by keeping them as property rather than have the terms of this arrangement be renegotiated.
    We believed it was wrong, and we changed it!
    Today, we have a party in power that has successfully prevented anything resembling a livable wage to be made into law. I would respectfully argue that any employee that recieves a weeks wages that won't cover a week of living expenses at a minimum American standard, is allowing himself to be treated, economically, as less than a slave. Until we place a realistic minimum value on the labor of our citizens and place restrictions on imported products/labor, we may as well get used to the idea of supporting these folks thru social welfare programs.
    I'm completely willing to pay more for American, living wage goods because more people working at a living wage means less crime, more taxpayers, fewer grifters, more people with money to shop, potentially lower taxes for a real reason.... in other words- an economy that works for everybody!

Blown 472
    Your as Lazy as they come so how does this effect you
    **** you, you dont know shit about me, so go suck your own dick you walking piece of shit.

MagicMtnDan
    Exactly how does an entry-level person advance without starving to death first? (1)
    Today, we have a party in power that has successfully prevented anything resembling a livable wage to be made into law. (2)
    I'm completely willing to pay more for American, living wage goods because more people working at a living wage means less crime, more taxpayers, fewer grifters, more people with money to shop, potentially lower taxes for a real reason.... in other words- an economy that works for everybody! (3)
    I probably shouldn't respond - I should just let your words sit here so people can see how deep your head is buried...in the sand.
    1. Go ask the (Italians, Jews, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indians, Pakistanis, Mexicans, and other immigrants)! They'll tell you and probably mention things like working long, hard hours, saving money, starting their own business, etc.
    2. Yeah, that Republican party sucks! They don't GIVE people anything! Hurry up and vote in all the Democrats so they can GIVE people stuff - your stuff, my stuff, everyone's stuff. Why work for stuff when they'll GIVE it to you!
    3. Do you advocate making it a LAW to buy American products?! This country is what it is in part because of free market economics. Are you telling us that we should HAVE to buy American so American workers can get a "living wage?!" You clearly have an elevator that doesn't go anywhere near the top! :sqeyes:

Blown 472
    I probably shouldn't respond - I should just let your words sit here so people can see how deep your head is buried...in the sand.
    1. Go ask the (Italians, Jews, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indians, Pakistanis, Mexicans, and other immigrants)! They'll tell you and probably mention things like working long, hard hours, saving money, starting their own business, etc.
    2. Yeah, that Republican party sucks! They don't GIVE people anything! Hurry up and vote in all the Democrats so they can GIVE people stuff - your stuff, my stuff, everyone's stuff. Why work for stuff when they'll GIVE it to you!
    3. Do you advocate making it a LAW to buy American products?! This country is what it is in part because of free market economics. Are you telling us that we should HAVE to buy American so American workers can get a "living wage?!" You clearly have an elevator that doesn't go anywhere near the top! :sqeyes:
    Taking your stuff? funny when klinton was in office he didn't take anything I owned, what are you talking about??

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast