Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tahiti info

BBTAHITI
    I'm restoring/rebuilding a 18' tahiti tiger and would like more info on the company. What was the tie-in with Hawaiian, where was Bell Ind. located, etc. This is hardly a competitive boat (then OR now), but a fun project.
    Who else has a Tahiti hidden away they will admit to?

RiskyinElsinore
    I have a Tahiti with a small block chevy and out drive and I am happy to say that it can hold it,s own up next to most jet boats and I realy like ****ing with the blown guys.

SPECTRABRENT
    Ricky,
    The little Tahitis were a nice little boats, but your joking about ****ing with the blown guys.
    Brent

BBTAHITI
    Mine has a 460 ford and berkley jet. I haven't had it out yet, that will happen after I tear down and check out the engine, reseal the pump and reupholster it.

superdave013
    Originally posted by SPECTRABRENT:
    Ricky,
    The little Tahitis were a nice little boats, but your joking about ****ing with the blown guys.
    Brent
    Hey Brent, Bring your Spectra out on the Run What Ya Brung deal and see if you can keep up with it. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

SPECTRABRENT
    DAve,
    I sold my Spectra 20 to Flat Broke (less motor), the 509 is going to be turned into a 540 and it will go into my v-drive Spectra 24 XS.
    I may go to watch, it should be fun.
    Is your boat going to done in time?
    Brent
    [This message has been edited by SPECTRABRENT (edited March 05, 2002).]

Cas
    BB,
    do a search for Tahiti and you will come up with a lot of info. You will also find a couple of threads about Tahiti/Hawaiian.
    Oh yeah, I'm on my third Tahiti now, I've had an 18' Tiger, an 18' super Tiger and I now have a 21' Super Cruiser. I've been happy with all 3.

superdave013
    Originally posted by SPECTRABRENT:
    DAve,
    I may go to watch, it should be fun.
    Is your boat going to done in time?
    Brent
    [This message has been edited by SPECTRABRENT (edited March 05, 2002).]
    You should go out. My boat will not be there. I'm riding with Risky.

BBTAHITI,
    in a nut shell, Tahiti was Dick Schuster, started in Long Beach, moved to Bellflower. Sold to Bell in about '68. Bell was a big company, Bell helmets, Bell speed equip. and so on. Moved to Cerritos off of the 605 fwy about the same time. Schuster and a guy from Bell, Jerry Groom (who didn't know a boat from dump truck) started Hawaiian by back-dooring material from Tahiti. (Hawaiian was originaly going to be called Tiki, and we even had sold a few boats with the name plates on them but Bell had a court order to make the name change.) Groom went to prison, where I'm sure he got to know what the term back dooring really meant, and Schuster stayed out of jail for reasons unknown. When Hawaiian went belly up, Groom fled to New York, and Schuster continued to build boats off and on under the Hawaiian name. Dick also bought the 'Sun Ray' boat company for his kids so they would have something to do. They nose-dived that shop as well.
    When Hawaiian went under, they ****ed alot, and I mean ALOT of parts suppliers. Schuster, from the begining of Tahiti until the time he hooked up with Groom was a stand up guy that took alot pride in the boats he built. The early Tahiti's are build like tanks. I don't know what happened to him after that, except maybe greed. And I never understood why he hooked with such a dick headed prick as Jerry.
    Dick never screwed his employees, in fact we were all making money hand over fist back then, we couldn't build enough boats, but I think there are still hard feelings to this day by some of the guys that took it in the shorts when the doors were closed.
    I love Tahiti's, grew up with them so I have a soft spot for them. Great little boats.
    [This message has been edited by old rigger (edited March 05, 2002).]

Moomawnster
    My Tahiti is a 16 ft Hardin from "87" 350 sbc Holly 450 cfm stock Berk JE pump with aggressor "B" I am stuck at 4000 rpm max but I am planning a 383 , that may improve things some !

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast