Thread: Pump intake grate advice needed...

jester
    I'm in need of an intake grate and have seen some vastly different designs but no one seems to be able to explain which one would work best for me. My boat is a 20-21' daytona splash, approx 500hp w/split bowl Berkeley. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DOHARA
    JESTER, what are you running now? I know when I had mine built I had to bring boat to the guys shop so he could see how it fit. Also there are so many designs that the only way is trying different ones and see what works on your boat. I tried 3 different ones before I found the one that worked best. If this link works you'll see what I mean. http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure/Loaders.html
    Give jack at MPD a call and he can give you some advice.949-631-2040.
    DANO

jester
    Currently there is no intake on the boat, that's the way I purchased it. What type of grate did you end up with? I really don't want to have try a bunch of different styles, just curious which kind works for best for various conditions. Bringing my boat to a shop isn't really feasable, I haven't found a shop here in MN that knows anything about jets.

FoMoCo
    I just got a loader from MPD last month its one like in the picture( bottom right brown)I think they call it an open center loader. It works great I picked up some noticable diferance in mid range and top end, it seems to stay loaded pretty good in medium rough water.

DOHARA
    JESTER, I would call jack at MPD and ask his opinion and he'll get you in the ball park. I have the open center one like FOMOCO has but it can get technical, for example, open center or closed center, how far it hangs down below the keel line,ETC.,ETC., Call jack tell him the boat,pump,engine info and you'll get one your happy with. I had to try a couple cause some of them you could actually feel it sucking boat down insted of letting it come out on top, some made it where it would actually skate on top and would get scary at WOT. I also run a pre load impellor that helps alot out of the hole.
    GOOD LUCK,
    DANO