Thread: What's the minimum for marinizing a 454?

zmoz
    I'm considering buying a jet boat without an engine. I have a 454 out of an old pickup that I could put in it, and I'm going to fully rebuild it. What's the minimum of marine parts I need to use? I know boats are supposed to have a special carb/distributor/starter/alternator so as to not start a fire, but this engine would be uncovered in the boat. Would those parts be necessary for an uncovered engine? What else needs to be marine? I know the cam will have to be different...not necessarily marine. What about the water pump? Anything else?

moneysucker
    You will need headers $700.00, Water inlet blocks(no water pump)60.00? motor mounts600.00+/-, Cam it for the Rpms you want. Clearance everything a little more than in an automotive application to make it live. There are some tricks for known oiling problems in high rpm applications. The alternator starter carb can all remain that way you can get replacements almost anywhere. Don't tell Kragan that they are in a boat. Waranties are great for these items.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    You will need headers $700.00, Water inlet blocks(no water pump)60.00? motor mounts600.00+/-, Cam it for the Rpms you want. Clearance everything a little more than in an automotive application to make it live. There are some tricks for known oiling problems in high rpm applications. The alternator starter carb can all remain that way you can get replacements almost anywhere. Don't tell Kragan that they are in a boat. Waranties are great for these items.
    Why would you pay that much for motor mounts? Everything else is about right

moneysucker
    I gave new price. You can make a rail kit for a lot less and it is better than the 4 point mounts and looks cleaner. The higher price isn't meant to scare you off but it is realistic. I always gave used or deal prices to friends and when they looked for these items in the catologs they were bent. You can get everything for less if you know where to look. The best thing you did was get a chevy. Way more parts on the used market. I forgot a 10 Qt oil pan $200.

lilrick
    .....forged pistons, steel crank, good valve train, SFI quality flex plate,good carb...etc.