Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Question??? Too much Power?

Havasu Hangin'
    Ususally when you under power a sub the distortion levels are going to be significantley higher and when speakers play at high distortion levels the speaker life seems to be shortened. In the experiences I have had it seems it is always better to overpower than underpower. You can always turn too much down, but cant turn too little up.
    But when you underpower a sub, it has no ill effects.
    A sub is nothing more than an AC motor. One of the few ways to kill an AC motor is to overheat it. Since you are putting less watts to it, there is no way for it to surpass it's thermal design limits, right? Even distorted.
    A speaker does not know if it is playing music or distortion...they are the same to the motor.
    Now, if you are talking about clipping an amp (like when an installer sets the gains to give the customer the capability to clip the amp), and that causes the speaker to recieve watts past it's design limits...then it can overheat the motor.
    However, it was too much power that killed it...not enough.
    I agree that overpowering subs tends to blow them less. However, that is usually because they are recieving less watts than perhaps a lower output amp driven into clipping, by a loose nut on the gain control.
    But I'm an idiot, so consider the source.

ROZ
    I agree that overpowering subs tends to blow them less. However, that is usually because they are recieving less watts than perhaps a lower output amp driven into clipping, by a loose nut on the gain control.
    But I'm an idiot, so consider the source.
    I agree with the Idiot, but I guess it takes on to know one :jawdrop: It's more like overdriving the underpowered amp vs. not enough power for the speaker

Havasu Hangin'
    It's more like overdriving the underpowered amp vs. not enough power for the speaker
    I couldn't have said it better myself. :idea:

rivercrazy
    Distortion does not kills subs, clipping an amp and forcing the Voice Coil to the stops is what creates heat in a sub and kills them.
    That 2200.1 amp is definately a higher end amp. IMO its one of the better amps on the market. To date those GTi's subs are the best I've heard. Even better than W7's....
    I'm sure with a little diagnosis, you'll get to the botom of the problem

Magic34
    Seems to be a problem with the charger charging the batteries. Tried wiring them a different way, and I'll check again tomorrow. If it doesn't work, I think the charger may be toast.

PHX ATC
    Scrap that whole entire piece of shit stereo and send it to me for destructive analysis. Put something worth a few dollars in there, quit being a tightass about the boat stereo thing.
    Matter of fact scrap the entire boat and bring it over here for destructive testing. Get the 44', it's got more room for more stereo stuff.

Magic34
    Scrap that whole entire piece of shit stereo and send it to me for destructive analysis. Put something worth a few dollars in there, quit being a tightass about the boat stereo thing.
    Matter of fact scrap the entire boat and bring it over here for destructive testing. Get the 44', it's got more room for more stereo stuff.
    You got a deal, but I have no luck convincing the wife of that one. The boss has to sign off on that one, so bring your pen and best shirt and tie.

PHX ATC
    I don't own a tie, so my very best Hawaii shirt is being drycleaned as we speak. Should I set up an appointment with her? Since "cabin boy" can't schmooze it by her?
    Let me know what the charger does with the rest of the stereo. I hope that's the culprit.

Magic34
    OK, well I feel like a jacka$$ right now.....
    I am testing the system tomorrow after it has had many of days on the charger. The problem, at least what I think, is that all the water in the 6V batteries was nearly gone. Mind you, I just had them installed new at the end of March and I have only used my boat 5-6 times all summer, so I figured that could not have been the problem, but I think it was.
    With the exception of a blown sub, everything else checks out OK. Each battery took a lot of distilled water, SO now I will check the batteries every month or so during the season.
    My advice to 6V Trojan owners, check your stuff on a regular basis during the summer. All 6 of mine took a lot of water. Based on the amount the batteries took, I need to add water every other month for sure.
    Hope this helps someone down the road.
    Up until this point the 6V Trojan set up has been flawless for me,

PHX ATC
    Oh, so I suppose the boat won't be parking in front of my house anytime soon for "diagnosis?"
    Glad you got her figured out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234