Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil cooler's

mcshriver
    How hot does oil usually get, whats a good (compact) oil cooler, where would you tap into the water/oil for best reasults, how necessary are they, will it blow up if i don't get one or what.

Hallett19
    when I was in froggy's boat this weekend, his oil at the hottest got like 220 or so but at high rpm's, but stayed around 150 or so at idle. I don't know wether he has a cooler or not.

77charger
    I have never run one but my pan is also a 14 qter.For smaller pans i do not know what temps you get.but on boats you are running at higher rpms than you would in a car which will heat the oil more at 220 and above is when oil starts breaking down.

572Daytona
    I've got one on my jet, it is plumbed between the pump and the motor. I would think though that for the most part they are not really necessary in a jet since most jet motors run on the cool side anyway. One benefit they do provide though is to preheat the water before it enters the block.

HBjet
    If your oil temp is hitting over 180 when crusing, then I would install one. Bigger performance motors usually have them. The problem is the oil not only lubs the parts, but cools them. Once the oil gets too hot, it breaks down allowing metal to metal contact, and, well you can figure out the rest. Motors with a few mods, but basically stock don't neet them. It's the big HP motors that you need to be concerned. Right RR?
    572Daytona, I'm a little bit puzzled by something you posted, why would you want to preheat the water entering the block? Block temp should be around 140-160 and at idle after a run I could see 180, but that usually falls shortly after. What temp is your motor running at? BTW, I don't see why a jet would run on the cooler side verses a I/O or a V-drive, there all using the same water to cool there motors.
    HBjet

fat rat
    I would like to run a cooler on my blown 510, they say it helps reduce condensation (hot oil/cool motor)....but the problem is I can't seem to find a siutable one for my application, any advice? (who or where) thanx.

572Daytona
    HBJet, I remember reading somewhere, I think it was in a Jet tech article that sudden inflows of cold water against a hot block could increase the metal fatigue in the motor. I don't know if this is true or not but having the water run through the cooler first makes the temperature difference between the block and water less. My boat runs about the same temp as yours, it may fluctuate a bit with differing water temps thoughout the year. Although jets and I/O's are using the same water to cool the motor, jets tend to move more of that water through the motor in a given time frame, so they tend to run cooler, also don't most I/O's have a thermostat?
    Fat Rat, I'm not sure who makes my oil cooler, I bought the boat used and it was already installed. I have to go into work but I'll see if I can find any pictures of it this evening. Unfortunately my boat is at the shop, otherwise I could just go take some pictures of my installation

GofastRacer
    Originally posted by fat rat:
    I would like to run a cooler on my blown 510, they say it helps reduce condensation (hot oil/cool motor)....but the problem is I can't seem to find a siutable one for my application, any advice? (who or where) thanx.
    I use a Dan Olson on mine, check out their site.....
    http://www.olsonmotorsports.com

HBjet
    Originally posted by 572Daytona:
    HBJet, I remember reading somewhere, I think it was in a Jet tech article that sudden inflows of cold water against a hot block could increase the metal fatigue in the motor.
    Well, that's Hot Boat's tech info for ya at it's finest! I don't know of any lake or river that when your running your boat, the water temp will change to such a degree that you would need to regulate the water temp. to avoid hurting the motor. If there is such a place, would those sections of water be called "Cold Spots"? You should never preheat water. If you want to regulate the water temp, do it by first installing a water pressure regulator at the pump before the water enters the block. Around 25psi would be fine. Then have a manual valve in the water line exiting the block. To regulate the water temp, use the valve to adjust how quickly the water exits the block. I hope this helps.
    HBjet

572Daytona
    HB, I guess I wasn't explaining it correctly. It is not the temperature difference between different water in the lake but the temp difference between the motor and the fresh water coming in. Kind of like taking a hose and pouring cold water on a hot engine, I don't think most people would do that. How about RR's and Froggy's boats, do they have oil coolers? They both have pretty healthy motors.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast