Thread: Water and Turbos ? Hey Cyclone?

Liberator TJ1984
    Can you run water injected exhaust thru a turbo ???
    Would this not keep the temps. down ???
    can you 'esplain deez to me? 4 eye is estuipid
    Thanks !

Hotcrusader76
    I wouldn't recommend it because of the turbo temps involved. You would flash boil it instantly. If you want, and as most turbos do...run the oil through a heat exchanger (raw water) to cool the oil. I believe most turbo guys already do this. I know we ran our turbos on the Detroits in a similar fashion for some of the gunboats we had at the unit.
    ~Ty

Tom Foolery
    Can you run water injected exhaust thru a turbo ???
    Would this not keep the temps. down ???
    can you 'esplain deez to me? 4 eye is estuipid
    Thanks !
    I'm new to turbos, but from what I've learned you wouldn't want to do that.
    My gale banks setup runs water jacketed headers before the turbo and the water injection takes place after the turbo. Banks seems to know his stuff when it comes to turbos, so I would think if there were any benefit from having water injection prior to the turbo he would have done it.

flat broke
    Even with turbine temps out of the equation, a drop of water hitting a turbine impeller at Max RPM might not be a good thing!!!
    You DO NOT want to run water injection into the turbine housing. You may run water injection on the intake size (I've seen some old pics of backyard engineered systems with winsheild washer tanks feeding in on the compressor side after the compressor) but that is pretty old school and I doubt you would have any use for it if your engine and system were laid out properly to begin with.
    Chris

Turbojack
    Do you mean water injection in the carb? If this is what you are talking about, it was used to cool the intake air charge & reduce the chance of detonation. When a motor is close to detonation you can add more fuel to a point but water injection if you have it set up correctly gave you more power.

Hotcrusader76
    Do you mean water injection in the carb? If this is what you are talking about, it was used to cool the intake air charge & reduce the chance of detonation. When a motor is close to detonation you can add more fuel to a point but water injection if you have it set up correctly gave you more power.
    Yes...spray bars do work wonders in keeping the charge air dense. I know of two guys running blowthrough turbos, 9.5:1 compression and almost in the 8s. A spray bar was the only way they could do it.
    ~Ty

Havasu Hangin'
    ...I would also think that you want the (pre-turbo) exhaust as hot as possible. If you cool it, it will condense and slow down.
    BTW...some Saab guys run 20+ lbs with water injection on (91 octane) street cars...

I (and others) have tried this when I had an old set of Lee headers that leaked. Not advisable. Very hard on the turbine wheel over time. Imagine spraying water on your red hot exhaust valves...