Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSD Issues

BrendellaJet
    Im gonna go with an MSD ignition for my new motor. Im a little leary about the whole thing, since I continue to hear about people having their ignitions fail on them while on the water.
    Question: The box just controls the spark right? If so, can anyone design a way to bypass the ignition and use the distributor/coil, or is the box similar to the dyna mod in my HEI? HELP!

DetroitJim
    Not sure why you've heard of failures, I've never had a problem in a lake flat or a drag hydro, beat the crap out of both of them without missing a beat. Don't mount the box on the engine or near heat, put it on vibration mounts somewhere else like the front bulkhead or under the seat maybe. And no, you can't run the distributor and coil as a stand alone. The distributor puts out a signal to the box that fires the coil. If the MSD box has a white wire you can fire it with a points distributor but what for? Go with the MSD, you will like it just fine.
    DJ

312stinger
    I have msd 6m boxes in my 312 chris craft stinger with twin ford 460 motors billet marine msd distributors and blaster high vibration coils ran 2 years now and no problems i spent the money for the marine parts and so far am glad i did. I clean my engine compartment and get all components very wet and never a problem.

BrendellaJet
    Okay, well I guess it wont work, however I personally know of 2 out of box failures, both got unacceptable service from MSD(wanted new units-got repaired units) and heard of 3 more failures at the CBBB a few weeks ago. I guess its hit or miss with these things.
    Thanks for the input though! guess ill buy one and hope for the best.

paradigm shift
    Okay, well I guess it wont work, however I personally know of 2 out of box failures, both got unacceptable service from MSD(wanted new units-got repaired units) and heard of 3 more failures at the CBBB a few weeks ago. I guess its hit or miss with these things.
    What box and coil are or were they using?
    I have heard the same thing. Most don't want to hear it but wiring (grounds in particular) can be a problem over looked when other components fail. I have had good luck with MSD myself. Even using the 6AL not the marine box. Distributer and cap are prone to corrosion in a marine application from what I have seen.
    DUI has a good reputation from those that have used them. Might be another choice.

GofastRacer
    Why don't you put a mag in and forget about it for 20 some years!..
    BTW, only one wire!..

paradigm shift
    Why don't you put a mag in and forget about it for 20 some years!..
    BTW, only one wire!..
    Ran a Vertex mag before the MSD. NEVER had a problem. I should have kept the mag even though the msd has been no problem.

HammerDown
    I personally know of 2 out of box failures, both got unacceptable service from MSD(wanted new units-got repaired units) and heard of 3 more failures at the CBBB a few weeks ago. I guess its hit or miss with these things.
    My friends Marine Box failed within 2 hours of use (new)...I towed him back to the ramp.
    He sent it to MSD they said they tested and ran it for 24 hrs...couldn't find anything wrong with it.
    They sent it back and it did the same thing...except I wasen't there to tow him in.
    While he was doing all the shipping/delay time etc he borrowed another 6Al that worked fine on his Boat...go figure.

GofastRacer
    Ran a Vertex mag before the MSD. NEVER had a problem. I should have kept the mag even though the msd has been no problem.
    Yep, the mag I have now I got from a friend back in the mid 80's used and never missed a beat all this time. Last April it started leaking so I sent it in and found out the coil was going bad, they put a coil and some other stuff in it freshened the whole thing up for $300 and it's good for another 20+ years!..Don't see how I can go wrong with that!..

I ran a 6AL box in my flat for 5 years, never had a problem.
    A good friend of mine runs one his jet. Had a slight water leak @ CFW on fathers day (front pump seal) The MSD box quit from getting wet at least 6 times. Three times while I was running the boat. Water would rush forward on decelaration & the box would quit. I just waited for the water to calm down & the box to dry out. Give it a couple of taps & it would fire. Still in the boat, still works.
    I'm don't know where the water was hitting to make it quit, but I think we were pretty lucky it kept going.
    Absolutly no question what ignition is going in my new flat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast