Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Exhaust Question

Norseman
    I'm in the process of putting my Rayson Craft back together and I have a question on which type of exhaust is better.
    The boat is a mid 60's Rayson Craft G, and is an 18 footer with seating for 4, with the engine under a rear hatch cover, and the v drive under the rear seat.
    I know that headers will allow the engine to breath better, and make more HP and torque, but that is not an option with this boat.
    I am going to run a thru transom exhaust, and it looks like there is not a big difference in height between the transom thru ports and the height of the heads with the engine in the boat, so I may have to run risers.
    Which would let the engine breath better, cast alum log style manifolds, or Cast iron Mercruiser type manifolds??
    The exhaust system will probably have a small muffler in it as well. the NY and NJ lake and river cops have a low sound threshold, I've been told. The engine will be a warm Small Block Chevy, basicly a 358 modified motor.
    Motor is a stock block 4 bolt main, bored .030 over, with Kieth Black Hypereutectic pistons , small chamber heads, engine has approx 10.5 :1 compression. Heads have large valves 461 casting. Cam is a flat tappet non roller, duration is 248 / 256 lift is .531/.535 on 106 degree lobe seperation. Lifters are Rhoads, Comp Cams roller rockers 1.5 ratio. Engine uses guideplates and stud girdles.
    Pan is a Cheap Speedway Claimer pan with a High volume oil pump.The intake will either be a old Edelbrock torker with a 750 Holly DP or an old Fenton 2 4 Bl with a pair of 600cfm Carters.
    I'm concernd that the engine is not going to be able to breath because of the exhaust.
    What do you suggest??
    Is this a good engine combo for this boat??
    Or do I want to make some changes, and what???
    Thanks;
    Norseman

Hotcrusader76
    Call up Dennis Moore. He has an exhaust system that may be just what you're looking for. I've chatted with him over e-mail a few times about this system for boaters running SBCs.
    ~Ty

Norseman
    Ty;
    Do you have any contact info for Dennis Moore??
    Thanks;
    Bob
    Norseman

HP350SC
    106 LSA with thru-hull exhaust is too close as far as I know, should be 112-114 to keep reversion from occuring.

Norseman
    Do I want a cam with 112 LSA and about the same lift and duration, or do I need to change that too???
    Cam change is easy before the engine goes in the boat
    It becomes a bitch after!! :frown:
    I've built a lot of Car and truck motors, but never aboat motor before......
    Thanks;
    Bob
    Norseman

Hotcrusader76
    Bob,
    I don't have a POC for Dennis. It's ironic that he's difficult to search for on Google despite his reputation as an editor for many books. He's the guy to give credit for the SBC Marine Performance book. Try asking around some and his digits are bound to pop up. I had his e-mail before our computers crashed at the office....I need not say more :cry:
    ~Ty

HP350SC
    Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send you Dennis Moore's SBC book for free. WAIT- before I promise anything let me dig it up first! stay tuned...

HP350SC
    OK found it.

Norseman
    Ty;
    Thanks, I'll see if I can track him down.
    Bob

Norseman
    HP350SC;
    It's on it way.
    THANKS!!!!
    Bob
    Norseman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast