Thread: Need Tech info for Jet Boat

simple
    My neighbor bought a this boat & the heads were cracked. He got new ones, rebuilt the carburetor & placed an electronic ignition inside the original distributor.
    Facts:
    1/ 1981 19' Sleekcraft with thru hull exhaust & engine cover.
    2/ 460 Ford with Berkeley Jet- all stock!
    3/ 4 BBl Holley (rebuilt Original)
    4/ About 300 hours
    Needs to know:
    1/ What is the redline for this motor?
    2/ What kind on Top Speed should he get?
    3/ For his winter project he wants to 'inexpensively yet reliably modify' his engine & jet for optimal performance. Any suggestions.
    His boat is very clean & has already bought some new heads.

riverbound
    My neighbor bought a this boat & the heads were cracked. He got new ones, rebuilt the carburetor & placed an electronic ignition inside the original distributor.
    Facts:
    4/ About 300 hours
    Needs to know:
    3/ For his winter project he wants to 'inexpensively yet reliably modify' his engine & jet for optimal performance. Any suggestions.
    If needed the biggest performance increase I saw was rebuilding my pump. I would also recommend adding a cam and intake. I run the Isky "jet boat" cam and the Weiand stealth manifold with a Holley 750 dp. The redline for my motor is 6000rpms, but I never take it over 5200rpm.

LakesOnly
    Facts:
    4/ About 300 hours
    Needs to know:
    1) Motor will rev to 5500-6000; in stock trim, power output has peaked at perhaps at 5200. With Berkeley "A" pump you will see less than 5000 rpm with unmolested motor.
    2) Top speed has too many variables to consider but should be over 60 mph.
    3) 460's can be extremely reliable and the stock parts can be modifed for the additional power. The most important thing to do is to increase compression ratio. Will he rebuild the entire motor or just put new heads on it? If the shortblock is coming apart then it would be a good idea to change pistons; if it is staying together then the choice of cylinder head may be important.
    You mentioned that he already purchased new heads; what are the casting numbers of the heads (check both heads)? Casting number is located on the outside of the head, along the valve cover rail and between the 3rd & 4th exhaust ports.
    LO

1978 Rogers
    I have a stock 460. I rev out to 4800-4900 rpm. My pump was rebuilt last year. With full gas and two people I see 63 mph on a hand held GPS.

simple
    Good stuff from all of you. ............Need more!!!
    He is a good student that wants to learn from experienced people like you guys. Sounds like there are some differences for RPM redlines.
    1/ What was the mfg stock redline RPM?
    2/ How do you determine the Berkeley type A or B Pump & what is the difference?
    3/ What is the difference between the heads? (He already has put them back on without mods. He bought them at a Boat Marine shop somewhere in OC. The gasket set cost him 150$$.)
    4/ What models for the Isky cam & Weiand Manifolds?
    5/ What about a Place Diverter for the Jet?
    6/ Why did most of the Top Builders use Fords?

BadBahner
    6/ Why did most of the Top Builders use Fords?
    The ford was usually the base engine and then if you wanted to pay for the upgraded motor you could buy the 454.

dave186
    that part i dont understand. why was the chevy more money than the ford? seems like it costs a lot more to build a ford than a chevy.

simple
    Thanks everyone. He'll be at Lost lake this weekend.