Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Power Valves?????

bigkatboat
    I do remember "Dan" showing pix of a motor with a (B&M 250?) blower on it. If I am in error, please accept my apology. However, my statements about power valves and blowers are true. Now I read "Dan" has fuel pressure problems? Please! Some one in Dan's area, go to his house, look at what he has done and report to us what the f^*k he is doing, before he blows the thing up. Otherwise this is all just a waste of time. :idea:

DansBlown73Nordic

DansBlown73Nordic
    Before you all tell me.... I already got rid of the #6 fuel line and that piss poor excuse for a fuel filter.
    Im not going to blow this motor up. I have not really even run it hard so far. I have built a pile of motors in my past. I just never played with the blower. Also most of my other motors were tuned decent before I got them. This thing is just been a real pain in the ASS!!!!! :hammer2:

Unchained
    How will the power valve be "closed at part throttle and open at WOT" on a supercharged motor? When the blower 'overtakes the motor's CFM (boost) the carb bases WILL SEE VACUUM! You will normally see less vacuum at the carb bases durring 'cruise conditions', VS. WOT. If the blower (is not just for looks) actually MAKES some kind of boost at WOT, the power valves WILL CLOSE!
    I have to disagree with you on this one.
    When I ran a blower with carbs I checked the WOT vaccuum at the carb bases and it was 0. I ran power valves in the primaries and secondaries.
    My setup was running 28% OD, 8 - 71 Hampton blower, 14 psi boost, 540 CI, two 850 cfm carbs.
    The only setup where I could foresee someone drawing enough vaccuum at WOT to close the power valves is if you had a big blower making significant boost and some real small carbs that would restrict the air flow to the blower.
    Or a very restrictive air cleaner.

Blown 472
    How will the power valve be "closed at part throttle and open at WOT" on a supercharged motor? When the blower 'overtakes the motor's CFM (boost) the carb bases WILL SEE VACUUM! You will normally see less vacuum at the carb bases durring 'cruise conditions', VS. WOT. If the blower (is not just for looks) actually MAKES some kind of boost at WOT, the power valves WILL CLOSE! Just remember, at idle (in gear) you will have very low vacuum thruout the intake system, and the power valves will be open. You don't run them, (on your own deal) why send this guy around the mountain only to find out they won't work for him either? You stated "30 inches of vacuum", on your deal. Where are you getting that much vacuum? What is your combo?
    Well when the blades are closed you will see high vac due to a "restriction" as the blades open there is less a "restriction" at the base of the carb. At wot you should have little to no vac. And boost is measured in the intake manifold not below the carbs so what does that have to do with anything? Secondly the power valves only enrich the main metering circut and no fuel will be flowing unless there is a signal at the booster.
    What mountian? I was getting that much vac at the base of the carb with a teflon lined 6:71 on a 440 mopar.

Blown 472
    Check it out mang
    http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSer...o/TI-222A.html
    More more thing to noodle, carter style carbs dont have a power valve and they seem to work on blown motors. :supp:

bigkatboat
    First of all, the "metering rod" style of carbs will only work if you 'over enrichen' the secondary side. Also, if you have NO Vacuum @ the carb bases durring WOT, the rotors (air wash) would cause air and fuel to 'stall' or revert back into the boosters. Carbs are 'powered by vacuum', how does the fuel get out of the bowls and into the air stream without any vacuum? The velocity of the air drawn into the blower intake is creating vacuum, even though you cann't measure it. The 28% OD/ 14 lbs, with only 2, 850 carbs sounds wrong. Holley carbs are given flow rates @ 2" of vacuum. So what you are saying is that at 28% OD your 540" motor needs less than 1700 CFM (2- 850's @ 2" vacuum, and you have "no vacuum") at WOT to make it's power? I would think that a normally asperated 540" motor would make vacuum drawing thru 2, 850 carbs! It sounds to me that your exhaust system is holding so much back pressure, that you are reading it as boost (it cann't get out of the motor) so it 'backs up ' in the intake manifold and "looks" like boost. This is one of the reasons people use dynos, either your cam profile, or your exhaust system is 'cheating' you of the power you have paid for. Ask the "Marine Assault" guy, I'm not guessing.

Blown 472
    And you have done what to help the issue?? **** it you are the expert you ****ing figure it out then.

DansBlown73Nordic
    I took the boat out today. I took a friend who has a pretty fast drag car. He runs in the 160 range. He showed me a few things to change.
    Im going to jet down from these 90s in the sec. to 84. Im also going to plug the power valves. Im also going to a set of 30cc Acc. Pumps instead of these 50cc ones. He thinks im way to rich..... :notam:
    Fuel pressure was at 12 psi. I added a reg. and now it is at 7.5 psi. Motor runs much better.
    We took the boat for a ride. It ran the best by far since I have been fooling with it.

DansBlown73Nordic
    Blown I hope your comment wasn't directed at me???

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast