Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stripping anondize

72 Hondo
    Someone in these forums has to have tried this at home.
    I have small parts for my Hondo that are faded gold and I want to strip it and polish the parts.
    Is there a way to do this at home?
    Thanks,
    GARY.

BIG TIME
    i know by mistake castrol's superclean stains it real bad!!!!!! :cry: ....try ez-off oven cleaner????

YeLLowBoaT
    You can just use a cutting compound and a soft wheel. It will take it off. plus your going to have to do it anyways to polish them.

BigBlockBaja
    Say what you will, But when i was a kid, I stripped some RC car parts with oven cleaner. Worked great.
    ...try ez-off oven cleaner???? Yes, it works!

GofastRacer
    Easy-Off oven cleaner takes it right off, but you need heat or it will take forever, small parts can be done in the oven big parts you can do on a hot sunny day in the sun!..

ColeTR2
    ez-off oven cleaner
    It does a great job

72 Hondo
    I live in Havasu so heat wont be a problem, so Ill try it. I also looked on the net and found alot of sites on this subject and they used Crystal Drano becuase of the sodium hydroxide if Im not mistaken with water but, I wanted to check with you guys first and, its a good thing. Easy Off is a little safer than Crystal Drano :crossx:
    The sites also said that the Drano will start to eat the aluminum, will the Easy Off do that also.

72 Hondo
    i know by mistake castrol's superclean stains it real bad!!!!!! :cry: ....try ez-off oven cleaner????
    That stuff stains anything polished. I found out the hard way also with 2 day old aluminum wheels :cry:

myoung
    The sites also said that the Drano will start to eat the aluminum, will the Easy Off do that also.
    If you leave it on too long, yes it will.
    Easy-off is the oldest trick in the book. I was using it 30 years ago to strip that damn red anodizing off my bicycle parts when they would turn pink. :yuk:
    It works great, but you do have to work it a bit with some scotchbrite or steel wool to get it all off sometimes. I use it all the time to strip the clear anodizing off of car trim pieces and one time left it on a couple pieces too long. Put some pretty ugly pits in the trim that I never did get polished out very well. Pits were so deep and the trim was so thin I didn't want to break through, so I live with it.

GofastRacer
    I live in Havasu so heat wont be a problem, so Ill try it. I also looked on the net and found alot of sites on this subject and they used Crystal Drano becuase of the sodium hydroxide if Im not mistaken with water but, I wanted to check with you guys first and, its a good thing. Easy Off is a little safer than Crystal Drano :crossx:
    The Easy-Off will take off the shine and need to repolish, when you spray it on and let it sit, it will turn black then rince it off with water and wipe the black off right away and you'll have plain dull aluminum ready for polish!..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast