Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help With Amp Problem

Who_Dat
    What I understand is that you have low output when it's in the boat and great output what it's in the car? Or it has very low output period? Which one is it?
    Yes, low in the boat, high in the car. If by period, you mean length of time that it is able to put out sound, then it is not the period.
    As far as the enclosure type, I will address that when it starts working right. But, "good sound" is not the issue here, it is not that it just doesn't sound good, it doesn't sound at all. Like I said before, when I am 1ft. away or when I put my hand in front of the port, its just not the same. So, changing enclosure, boat size/acoustics, etc. are not an issue until I can get it driving like it should. Oh by the way, I also had a sealed pioneer 10 in a truck box that I stuck in there to see if it would work, and it did the same thing. It sounded good when in my car, crap in the boat.

ROZ
    Are you using the same deck in the boat as in the car? MAybe the headunit has a blown rca output...

Who_Dat
    If that were the case, wouldn't there be a problem with the amp when pushing the signal to the 6X9s. It only has a problem when pushing the sub. The signal and amp performance is perfect on those.

ROZ
    I guess it really depends on how many 2 channel preouts you have. I have an Alpine deck here beside my desk that has a preout sub channel that's not working...
    How many preouts?

Who_Dat
    I have 2, it is running off of the rear preout. But, I am only running 1 RCA back to the amp/s. So, it is the exact same wire that works fine for the 6X9s.

1stepcloser
    To me it sounds like there simply isnt enough power.
    That Kenwood is likely producing maybe 150 watts to that sub. While that may be sufficient in an enclosed area like a car, in the open environment of a boat, it simply is not enough. Particularly in a 4th order enclosure. If I remember correctly this type of enclosure will enhance the very low freq. (sub-bass) tones, which generally cant be heard at low power levels in an open environment such as a boat.
    I had the same issue....
    In my truck a PPI 150 watt 2 channel bridged to two 10" RF SVC's, sounds great....strong bass.
    The same amp was in the boat with the same subs and no output.
    The subs would move, but you could not hear any noise. I tried different enclosures, to no avail.
    I understand that your point is that you believe that the sub is not functioning properly, but the fact that in the car it provides good sound should prove that the sub is indeed functioning correctly.
    If I'm reading your post correctly, and you are simply removing the components from the car (where they sound great) and installing them in the boat (where they have no sound) The only thing that has changed between the two installations is the acoustic environment.
    You need more power, Mr. Scott.

riverbound
    Maybe the deck has a built in crossover and it is set to high pass? :idea:

Who_Dat
    1stepcloser:
    That Kenwood is likely producing maybe 150 watts to that sub. While that may be sufficient in an enclosed area like a car, in the open environment of a boat, it simply is not enough. Particularly in a 4th order enclosure. If I remember correctly this type of enclosure will enhance the very low freq. (sub-bass) tones, which generally cant be heard at low power levels in an open environment such as a boat.
    I have never had the Kenwood amp in my car. When I speak of the car setup, it is just the kicker amp. I know that the kenwood is not powerful enough, but I have been mainly talking about the kicker amp which has plenty of power. The kenwood was just to show that it is happening in 2 different situations. Also, I mentioned that I had a different sub in there to try which was in a sealed enclosure.
    I understand that your point is that you believe that the sub is not functioning properly, but the fact that in the car it provides good sound should prove that the sub is indeed functioning correctly.
    As I also said earlier, without even mentioning sound, if you put your hand 1 inch away from the port, you can feel just enough to tell that it is on. This should be the same in both settings. The AMOUNT (quantitative) of air being pushed out would be the exact same, however the SOUND (qualitative) it made would/could be different. I hesitate to mention this, because most people are missing the point entirely, but I don't think that the sound would be that much different. The space that I have my sub sitting in is roughly the size of my trunk and The "open" space has very high side walls, and when in my car, it sounded a lot better with the windows/sunroof open. However, this is not what my question is about, because like I said, there is a POWER issue arriving from the same equipment used in two different settings, not SOUND.
    riverbound:
    Maybe the deck has a built in crossover and it is set to high pass?
    Good idea, but it is a lower end deck ~$130 and it doesn't have one. Also, the sub 200hz tones are going to the 6X9s, and also the tones are actually at the sub, however only enough just to say they are getting there. If it were crossed over, then they wouldn't even show up.
    thanks for the ideas. Anymore? keep 'em coming because I have messed with this thing for 3 summers now, and I am getting a little perturbed.

PHX ATC
    Your boat is posessed with a stereo poltergeist.
    Sell it and get another one.

1stepcloser
    My apologies, I inferred that you were removing the system from your car and installing it in your boat.
    I have the exact same equipment/setup that works in my car, yet it sucks in my boat.
    I have the luxury of knowing the system because I have had it in my car. The equipment is fine, because it worked in my car, then it didn't in my boat, then I moved it back to my car and it was fine again, all with the exact same wiring and setup.
    Apparently you have similar components in the boat.
    I've never had the Kenwood amp in my car. I is just the kicker amp. Also, I mentioned that I had a different sub in there to try which was in a sealed enclosure.
    I'm confused now.
    The space that I have my sub sitting in is roughly the size of my trunk and The "open" space has very high side walls.
    Is the sub mounted free air?
    I'm not sure what you would call the enclosure. It is a non-traditional bandpass I guess, because the port is coming out of a chamber that is in front of the speaker which is itself (the speaker) in a sealed enclosure.
    So.... if the componenets are different, save for the amp, the comparisons are moot.
    Perhaps the 10 year old sub is the problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast