Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Mount Starter

SoggyJet
    I am building a 454 BBC for my jet boat project. I want to use a top mount marine starter and a flex plate. Normally the top mount starter is used with a flywheel where the ring gear is installed on the rear of the flywheel instead of the front.
    Unfortunately my measurements indicate that the top mounted starter will not engage the flex plate with the parts I have. Is there a way to make the top mounted starter work with the flex plate?
    Doug McCoy

canuck1
    machine about 5/8's off the starter or housing(I can't remember which)

pgf127rt
    I am building a 454 BBC for my jet boat project. I want to use a top mount marine starter and a flex plate. Normally the top mount starter is used with a flywheel where the ring gear is installed on the rear of the flywheel instead of the front.
    Unfortunately my measurements indicate that the top mounted starter will not engage the flex plate with the parts I have. Is there a way to make the top mounted starter work with the flex plate?
    Doug McCoy
    Doug, you probably already know this but be sure the starter is a reverse rotation, I have seen people try a regular starter on a topmount and it was a mess.

SoggyJet
    machine about 5/8's off the starter or housing(I can't remember which)
    I was thinking of that, but was not sure I had enough material. Do you know of someone who has done this?
    yeah, I got the correct rotation starter. It does get a little confusing, but a good friend of mine does the marine stuff for a living and is happy to keep me straight. Thanks for the reminder though.
    thanks
    Doug

canuck1
    it was done for my boat

SoggyJet
    Any chance of you finding out a few more details, sounds like that is how I will have to do it. Perhaps you could give me contact info for the person or shop that set it up for you?
    Thanks
    Doug

We stock 1/2" thick Flexplate Spacers to move the flexplate out. Measure your starter position though as not all top mount bellhousings position the starter in exactly the same place front to rear.
    Part number on that spacer is 242 207 and is in stock. It is machined and gold cad plated steel. Has the crank dowel locating hole and the six bolt holes and the register for the end of the crank. I don't have a pic or I would post it.

Dave C
    They also make bellhousings that have the top mounted starter positioned in the correct place for use with a flex plate. (I owned 2 of them)
    maybe call Lightning???

SoggyJet
    We stock 1/2" thick Flexplate Spacers to move the flexplate out. Measure your starter position though as not all top mount bellhousings position the starter in exactly the same place front to rear.
    Part number on that spacer is 242 207 and is in stock. It is machined and gold cad plated steel. Has the crank dowel locating hole and the six bolt holes and the register for the end of the crank. I don't have a pic or I would post it.
    Mike,
    I ordered the flexplate spacer, but now I need bolts. I am using this with your jet driveline flange for a flex plate. The driveline flange came with six bolts, but the rep that took the order said you don't have bolts that will work for this combination. So using the driveline flange and the 1/2" spacer I will need bolts 1/2" longer than REX provided with the driveline flange (1.25 + .50 = 1.75")
    Where can I get 7/16-20 x 1.75" bolts to use with this application?
    Thanks
    Doug

I would recommend any good fastener supplier in your area to get them in a timely manner. Just get socket cap screws (allens) and they will be Grade 8 equivilent normally. If you cannot find back there let me know, I can likely order some from a bolt supplier out here but it will just slow things down for you. You might also try McMaster Carr online, they have most all that stuff although I have not looked to see if they have these. Let me know if you need assistance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast