Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all v-drivers...unite!

LVjetboy
    C'mon guys, Jim Wilkes needs mail. I know most of you already know the answers...if not? Too cool to ask the questions. But surely there's still something worth talking about in the v-drive world. The last question in this issue classic, "Triple Digits Needed!" A bit of a shocker since I thought all you guys ran 100+ but interesting reading. And funny by contrast to Jet Techs, "60 mph Needed!"
    In fact, Jim's column WAY more interesting than Bobbye Kenyon's usual blather about, "...A center console that pairs performance with styling in a sizzling(?) package that features an impressive standard list of amenities along with ample storage for your gear and hits the mid-60-mph notch." :sleeping: Blah, blah, blah...both her style and subject sucks!
    Talk about BORING. How many subscribers actually read her offshore sh* I mean stuff?
    By comparison, Wilkes (Tyler and Alan) talk to subjects true Hot Boaters actually care about, taking time to answer questions with detailed technical replies based on experience. Not just some boring recap of offshore points standings or comments Bobbye's famous for like, "The event not only showcased the racers awesome talents in the offshore arena, it also spotlighted their commitment and generosity towards local charitable efforts..." reading like a bogus political spin. Blah, blah blah.
    Yet HBM, in their infinite wisdom (read monopoly w/no competition catering to big money advertisers) threaten to cancel Jim's column not Bobbye's? If that's the direction they want to go...then maybe they should cancel jet tech, i/o's and o/b's and axe the special performance section too. And change their name to Hot Ocean Going Yachts (HOGY's) Something's not right.
    jer

BGF
    Yah "Your rocket"and "Enderle"-Drooling wall washer's"I admire Wilkes for his accomplishments but I can just about guess what his canned answers are going to be.Your right to keeping the V-drive Tech alive but there are times Wilkes was to busy riding offshore boats in florida to respond to the tech coloum.
    I would be more inclind to submit v-drive questions to someone else heading the colom or better yet someone helping Wilkes with the colom to get some fresh and different opion.

Here's a thought,
    Could the v-drive tech section format be scewed,to a just plain V-drive section. Instead of getting all the same questions like "How to change a prop" & "which gears should I run". It could change to look at the cool junk on this boat. Cover some of the events take a few pictures, show some rigging & write about the set up's that are being used & why.
    Each & every boat is different. Their is a huge amount of information that I think could be presented in a way that even the offshore guy's would be interested in checking out.
    If not, just show more (or less) bikini's.

dmontzsta
    Here's a thought,
    Could the v-drive tech section format be scewed,to a just plain V-drive section. Instead of getting all the same questions like "How to change a prop" & "which gears should I run". It could change to look at the cool junk on this boat. Cover some of the events take a few pictures, show some rigging & write about the set up's that are being used & why.
    Each & every boat is different. Their is a huge amount of information that I think could be presented in a way that even the offshore guy's would be interested in checking out.
    If not, just show more (or less) bikini's.
    Thats what I am talking about.

Cole Sanger
    I would like to see them take some pictures at Billy's shop during a custom paint job. I am sure there is a lot of information that could be gained for more than one article. Custom rigging would be another interesting topic as long as they include color pictures. How about taking a flat and doing a couple of build up's like they do with cars at Car Craft? If he's looking for questions, there are plenty asked right here everyday.

LVjetboy
    Morg you may be on to something. A format change? Sections with both questions and content oriented to drive type? Hmm...
    Or maybe a shakup in management.
    "Those in Charge" WILL resist changes to the status quo, but if you've followed the recent changes in a (vaguely) similar magazine...Hot Rod...big format changes take huevos and the shinitz to buck the system. And you can bet those changes were inspired, not supported by the all-is-just-fine-and-be-happy crowd. The end result? A much better magazine.
    jer

DansBlown73Nordic
    I think the idea of a V-Drive buildup would be really cool. Find some old tub in the weeds. Do a three or four part story of how it was dragged home and restored...
    Hell I just finished one myself.....

bigkatboat
    I am very happy to see that some of you are actually looking at the "V-drive" pages in the magazine. I still cannot believe that an answer to a "Hondo flatbottom question" was given such a WEAK responce. The column responded, " we never got the HOP out of our boat" (paraphrased). What kind of answer is that??? If the author of the column does not know, then he should SEEK OUT THOSE WHO DO KNOW THE ANSWERS! I am the one who started the "V- drive" and "High performance" columns in this magazine. If you look back to the late 80's and early 90's you will see that I am correct. The magazine staff changed my words and added other "letters" without any regard for the TRUTH ! I was promised advertizing or monetary compensation, I got nothing! The whole thing got started when I was talking with Andy Casale, and some flatbottom drivers at Puddingstone Lake, we were at an IHBA event and I suggested the columns. Well all of the advertizing money we were representing (in his face) to Kevin Spaise, was too much. He 'contacted me for articals', but NEVER contacted me for 'payment'. If you remember, the first "High Performance" column was all about the 'author's' problem with his "trailer hitch" and how his boat became disconnected from his truck. What the F^*k?? I feel the people who contribute to this magazine are just "filling time". They NEVER WANTED IT TO BE LIKE HOT ROD magazine. I tried, and was shut down by the powers (ad salesmen) that rule. I know I will be banned, for bringing you the truth, but I want you (who can read this) to know, I AM TELLING YOU THE TRUTH!!! PS, GS Marine has NO BUSINESS GIVING MOTOR ADVISE, they don't do their own motor work. I know that other people have been doing their motor work for many years!

63stevens
    The idea sounds great but if it is going to cost HB any money forget it. They're in the business of making money not spending it. As for the "v-drive tech" section in HB magazine I sent in a question and they never bothered to answer it. Besides who whats to wait 3-4 months for the answer to a question you need answered right now. Just my .02's worth

LVjetboy
    63stevens,
    "As for the "v-drive tech" section in HB magazine I sent in a question and they never bothered to answer it. Besides who wants to wait 3-4 months for the answer to a question you need answered right now.
    I think you hit the drawback of the current HBM tech section format. With internet tech forums, quick answers rule. We want answers...now. And we get them. That doesn't mean Hot Boat magazine's tech section is history. Just maybe they should reconsider changing with the times like Morg suggested?
    Or not, if they don't care.
    jer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast