Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Impeller Question A or B

cave
    My impeller is toast. So before I go and buy a new one, I'de like to know what the difference will be if I get a "B" rather than the "A". The motor runs up to 4200 RPM. The inners in the motor are stock. The lower the letter the more the torque right? So if I run at 58 mph on gps @ 4200 with the "A" what will it do with a "B" impeller? The next adventure will be a Jet Boat cam. Thanks in advance. Here is a pic of my toasted impeller
    http://members.cox.net/jetboater454/inview1.jpg
    http://members.cox.net/jetboater454/impeller_1.jpg
    Glad I took the time to take it apart!!!
    Everything inside the housing and bowl look ok.

UBFJ #454
    Yep ... That be Toast .......
    How straight is the Shaft?

GlastronGuy
    The smaller the impeller, the higher the RPM.

ChetCapoli
    that had to have messed up your suction just a little???...unless you had a lipped brass wear ring to begin with for protection. Something those factory original flat SS wear rings or the "gimmick" plastic one would not protect if used. Impeller is like a knife thru butter when used with those....OUCH!
    Something to think about when choosing your next wear ring style.
    CHET

cave
    ChetCapoli there is a lipped brass ring that i removed.
    I havn't put a dail on the shaft yet.
    BEAR_454PE Thanks, next on the to do list. Can I just roll it on a pool table? Just kidding.
    GlastronGuy is A smaller than B?. I have the "A" but I dont have a "B" to compare.

GlastronGuy
    A is larger. It goes from A (or AA) down.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Cave, are you going to pull skiers??? If so then dont go to a "B". If not then run a "B" to bring up the r's and hp. BUT the only thing is that your spee was based upon a worn out jet. When you rebuild it, it will be more efficient and faster
    I beliveve this is how it goes
    AA
    A
    A/B
    B
    B/C
    C

cave
    Thanks Mike. Maybe pull a tuber. Not a ski. It may be faster. Must of been like that for a while. I kinda notice that i was slower in the no wake zone. I hated going to back at Saguaro cause of that.

UBFJ #454
    No Matter How ... If Rolled, and ... It Too "Flops" ... It's Done Also.

LVjetboy
    Cave, impeller sizing is based on power not torque. If you want best top speed and on-plane acceleration, size to power not torque. The key is, you need to know your engine's power curve to decide if smaller is a good trade-off.
    Typically, impeller sizing becomes more critical as power goes up. A stock motor pulling an "A" to 4200 is not much power and I don't think downsizing to a "B" will gain you much. Even with a 900 hp engine where one cut size may get 40-50 hp if off-peak power, only 4% increase in speed. In your case that may be 1 mph assuming your engine's way off-peak power at 4200 rpm.
    That said, I don't don't think going from an A to a B will be a problem with pulling a skier. At least not from my experience. I've pulled many a skier with a "B" and at least one complained about having his arms pulled out of the sockets. An exageration on his part I'm sure, because I ease-in the throttle and pull smooth but still, why do some say a "B" won't pull? Is there anyone else out there that can or can't pull a skier with a "B"? I weigh about 215+ lbs and on a single ski pull up just fine on a "B" Just wondering.
    jer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast