Thread: Speedometer

Radioman
    Ok, Another newbee question. How dose the speedometer work on an Bravo one drive, or is the speed sensing separate for the outdrive, is it mechcanical or pressure operated? Do they (the sensing unit) become plugged? I bring up all these questions because my speedometer on my Baja is failing to operate correctly

Essex502
    Ok, Another newbee question. How dose the speedometer work on an Bravo one drive, or is the speed sensing separate for the outdrive, is it mechcanical or pressure operated? Do they (the sensing unit) become plugged? I bring up all these questions because my speedometer on my Baja is failing to operate correctly
    If it is a stock Bravo 1 it probably is feeding water pressure through a small hole at the leading edge of the drive unit. You can find the hole above your skeg right on the sharp edge of the drive above the nose cone. At least that's where mine is. A small plastic tube is run from the drive to the speedometer. All this is if you don't have an external pickup installed. Sometimes debris gets into the hole and tubing. You can clear it by disconnecting the tube from the back of the speedometer and blowing it out (back towards the drive) with compressed air. Don't over pressurize it. Have a helper hold their hand over the hole in the drive when you do this and see if they feel air pressure. If so and the speedo still doesn't work it may need replacement.
    Good luck. My new Gaffrig by Livorsi speedometer needed to be replaced right after I picked up the boat from the builder. Never worked right. After replacement everything was fine.

Radioman
    Thanks for the help. I found it and it was plugged with muck. Used an 1/8" drill bit to clear the opening and it works fine now.

Essex502
    Thanks for the help. I found it and it was plugged with muck. Used an 1/8" drill bit to clear the opening and it works fine now.
    Glad to be of help....hang around here and you'll find out all kinds of stuff!