Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Toyz

phebus
    O.K. I need to get to the bottom of this. I took it to Al & Ed's, and they bench tested the amp and said it tested good. I don't know if it was a valid test, because they said they could only test it at a 10 amp load, and the amp didn't even get hot.
    Here is how the system is powered:
    Three Optima blue top deep cycle batteries- 1 boat, 2 stereo
    4ga off + terminal of battery 4ga. off - terminal going to distribution blocks
    2) 8ga to + sub amp off dist. block
    2) 8ga to + other amp off dist. block
    2) 8ga to - sub amp off other dist. block
    2) 8ga to - other amp off other dist. block
    O.K. I did not do the install, but it doesn't seem right to me that they are running 4ga positive and negative wires from battery, and then pulling 4 8ga wires off to power the amps, and 4 8ga to grond the amps (although the system did work fine this way). I am thinking of running two seperate 4ga wires directly to each amp, and two seperate 4ga to ground.
    My current thought is the amp is fine, but my batteries are dropping below 12v on the hard hits, and the sub amp is going into protect mode ( if I turn the system off, then on the amp will work fine again until the next big bass hits). My only arguement to this theory is that I charge the batteries each night, but the problem is there from the get go.
    Any advice would be appreciated. I hate to buy new batteries if I don't need them (they are a little over two years old) just to finish this season and then sit over the winter. I do plan on replacing them next season though. And I don't want to waste money on rewiring the system if it isn't necessary.
    HELP!!!!!, I need music!!!

ROZ
    I have a test for ya.... When you have the boat running with the perko switched to charge the stereo batteries, run the stereo up. The alternator is helping keep the voltage up. If the sub amp doesn't clip, you definitely have a voltage problem...

BoatFloating
    Rick, since it worked fine before I would lean towards 2 things. 1) batteries are going bad. 2) or that the amp is going bad. That would be my guess. There is a way to test this. I have one of those big Sears chargers that puts out 60amp charge and 125amp fast charge. I can bring it to the Almost Damn Run and hook it to your batteries and put it on 60 amp charge and crank the stereo and if it plays with no problems that is your problem and if it doesn't I would say it's the amp. I'll also have my volt meter to check at your amp during regular play and with the charger on...

phebus
    Thanks Rocky. At this point, seeing that the batteries are 2+ years old anyway, I am just going to replace them. That way I will have them for the damn run, and if they were the problem, I will have the stereo working for the run rather than trouble shooting at the run and having nothing.
    I am also thinking of either running new wiring to the amps, and going with a seperate 4ga power and ground for each amp, or replacing the 4ga wires from the batteries with 2ga that lead to the distribution blocks that have 8ga wires (2- 8ga power, and 2- 8ga ground for each amp)
    I'm sure after all that, I will find out it is an amp problem though. :hammerhea

BoatFloating
    Thanks Rocky. At this point, seeing that the batteries are 2+ years old anyway, I am just going to replace them. That way I will have them for the damn run, and if they were the problem, I will have the stereo working for the run rather than trouble shooting at the run and having nothing.
    I am also thinking of either running new wiring to the amps, and going with a seperate 4ga power and ground for each amp, or replacing the 4ga wires from the batteries with 2ga that lead to the distribution blocks that have 8ga wires (2- 8ga power, and 2- 8ga ground for each amp)
    I'm sure after all that, I will find out it is an amp problem though. :hammerhea
    Batteries first wouldn't be a bad idea. They are $152 at Costco for the blue tops...

Evo22
    look at rocky he is a regular stereo guy I remember when he used to pay someboby to do it, well maybe not "pay"... Anyways it sounds like your batteries are going south. The 4ga. to the amps is not a bad idea, If you want to get oddesy batteries I'm a dealer for them and can get you the good guy price
    thanks,
    Brian

phebus
    The system had a Farad 1.0 capacitor for the sub amp. When I rewire, should I put it back into the system, or leave it out?

ROZ
    With 2 amps I'd just leave it out. Since you're normally running the stereo with the ignition off, it just adds resistance.

rivercrazy
    With 2 amps I'd just leave it out. Since you're normally running the stereo with the ignition off, it just adds resistance.
    I'm just quoting this for future reference! Is 1Step listening?

BoatFloating
    look at rocky he is a regular stereo guy I remember when he used to pay someboby to do it, well maybe not "pay"... Anyways it sounds like your batteries are going south. The 4ga. to the amps is not a bad idea, If you want to get oddesy batteries I'm a dealer for them and can get you the good guy price
    thanks,
    Brian
    Ya, all you wire jockey's taught me everything I don't know. The only reason I know so much is I had to fix Steve's stuff
    I talked to Roy and he said the cost was to high for the grills. Any other ideas?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast