Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: no mess oil change

Mighty Thor
    I have read several posts and articles about how to change the oil on your boat and there are suggestions ranging from pumping out through the dipstick to installing fancy drain plugs and associated plumbing. There are also those who just drain into the bilge and then clean up the mess.
    Here is a simple no mess solution that should work for most boats:
    1. Get a couple of heavy duty garbage bags and put one inside the other. 30 gallon seems to work the best for me.
    2. Buy or borrow sawdust. my neighbor is a cabinet maker so I just raid his garbage can. You can get it at pet stores, home improvement, farm and ranch, lots of places.
    3. Tuck the garbage sacks under the engine so that the oil can drain into the opened bags. Pour the sawdust into the bags, the more the better but keep in mind that you will need to remove the whole package later.
    4. Open the drain and let the oil drain into the bag with the sawdust, you should be able to pull the oil filter and let it drain too.
    5. The sawdust should soak up the oil and make it less likely to slosh around. Replace the drain plug and the filter and then carefully pull the garbage sack out from under the engine being carefull not to catch the plastic and tear it. dispose of the bag and oil in an appropriate manner.
    6. I have done this several times on three different boats and never spilled a drop.

Infomaniac
    Great idea !!
    I have used that technique to catch the v-drive oil. Minus the saw dust. Not that much oil in the v-drive.

i read the article in the new HB mag about a quick disconnect hose,... seems to be the easiest way to do a service! check it out!
    just my pennies in the bucket!

Havasu Cig
    The hoses make it easy. Just pull them through the drain plug holes and drain the oil into a bucket.

bigpapasean
    A good old shop vac works great. Just pull the pan plug and let the vac do all the work. No mess and it sucks the oil out faster than any thing else.

Bre
    I think FastTimmy uses the garbage bag method... we just get our oil out through the dipstick... hook it up to a cordless drill and it sucks it all out. Each way is easy enough for any woman or man to do.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
    How do you dispose of the OIL/SawDust mix.....
    I don't think that AutoZone will take that soup.....
    It dosen't really take that long to pump out 15 quarts into a 5 gallon bucket..
    Then AutoZone will take it.....
    GreenParty friendly......Not bad for a OC Republican!!!!!
    CJG

Some Kind Of Monster
    The hoses make it easy. Just pull them through the drain plug holes and drain the oil into a bucket.
    I have employed this method on both my boat and a friends boat and let me tell you it takes FOR EVER to drain the oil this way. I can't believe that this is an isolated situation because both of our boats do the same thing! I even pulled the motor and blew the hose out with a compressor. It was free and clear. My next idea is to open the drain hose and make a fitting to connect the compressor (throttled down of course) to the dipstick opening. Then again maybe I should just buy larger ID plumbing.. On the other - other hand, maybe I should just use a garbage bag with saw dust.

superdave013
    Put a -12 or 16 bulkhead through the back of the boat by the drain plug. Cap the outside and run the hose to the pan. My flat had the -16 set up and 14qts took no time at all to get out.
    I used to use the bag method. I used tall kitchen bags, two at a time and didn't put much in then due to the snag factor. Got pretty good at it but it took awhile. Shop vac worked good to but it trashed the vac.
    I'm with C.B. about the saw dust. Sounds like a big mess that's hard to get rid of.

Brian Ray
    I used the bag method and it worked fine....minus the sawdust of course. AutoZone wouldn't like that....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast