Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: no mess oil change

Havasu Cig
    I have employed this method on both my boat and a friends boat and let me tell you it takes FOR EVER to drain the oil this way. I can't believe that this is an isolated situation because both of our boats do the same thing! I even pulled the motor and blew the hose out with a compressor. It was free and clear. My next idea is to open the drain hose and make a fitting to connect the compressor (throttled down of course) to the dipstick opening. Then again maybe I should just buy larger ID plumbing.. On the other - other hand, maybe I should just use a garbage bag with saw dust.
    Were the engines warm before you drained the oil? It is not as fast as using a pump through the dipstick, but I have not had the problems you have had. I usually let my drives drain overnight though so maybe i am just patient.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
    boy I have to change my oil

Mighty Thor
    I do usually warm the oil before I drain it. As for the disposal, In my case we have an oil burning shop heater so we just pour the slop into the strainer and let the oil drain into the tank. The sawdust goes into the barrel stove to heat the other building. I got this idea from a deal I used to get in oregon when I lived there. The auto parts store sold a disposable oil drain kit that consisted of a cardboard box with the bag and sawdust already in it. You opened the box, opened the bag, drained the oil and then took the whole thing back to the store. I guess I don't know whether there are similar deals elsewhere.

Some Kind Of Monster
    Were the engines warm before you drained the oil? It is not as fast as using a pump through the dipstick, but I have not had the problems you have had. I usually let my drives drain overnight though so maybe i am just patient.
    I have had to change my oil at the lake a couple times (water in the oil) and it took hours (maybe 3 hours) to drain my pan. It was warm (just pulled the boat from the water). I have my pan off my motor right now so I am going to see what the deal is. I don't know whay two motors are doing the same thing though??? Probably just a small ID hose needs to get bigger.

Ultra Compulsive
    I put a fitting in the drain hole...w/hose....doesn't take forever, but it is slow. I just bought an oil evacuator at a local store for 179.00. It works with compressed air, and sucks oil out of anything, even the dipstick.

NashvilleBound
    How about the oil filter setup from Billet Marine? I unscrew the 4 hex bolts and walla, filter element slips out...replace with new. ZERO drips.

moneysucker
    I don't want to give up all my secrets but the hose from the oil plug hole is the way to go. I have also noticed that it drains way too slow. I use a cheap universal fuel pump and hook it to the drain hose and leads to the battery. My choice of pumps wasn't the best with 1/4 inlet and outlet it does ok but doesn't like pumping cold 50wt. They work very fast for normal oil.

DrewDown
    This is what i use, When the oil is warm it sucks it out before you can swap out the filter. Works awsome.
    http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi...t_id=980142480

CARRERA
    A good old shop vac works great. Just pull the pan plug and let the vac do all the work. No mess and it sucks the oil out faster than any thing else.
    What's the rush? Why not just let it drain and not make a mess of the shop vac.?

CrazyHippy
    I change mine w/ every tank of gas... Not sure what you guys are having problems with???
    BJH

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast