Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: no mess oil change

19cobaltcd
    I put one of those fram sure drain thingys on my pan. Bought a longer hose at Home Depot. Ran the hose out of the boat drain into a pan. Worked like a charm, not a drop in the bilge. (My bilge is not real easy to reach all over). Worked for me.

voodoomedman
    My way is pretty easy. I took it to Absolute Speed and Marine in Havazoo. Oil change, trailer serviced, drive oil changed, alignment checked...The hardest part was giving up a few hundred bucks.

I have a the drain hose kit and just pooch it out through the bilge plug hole. Then use my handy dandy spare Holley fuel/oil pump. Got the pump for free and the 5/8" heater hoses slip right over the drain hose.
    http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/da..._drain_kit.jpg

DrewDown
    For the trip home it was a different story, with the boat hooked up and ready to hit the road, he'd pull the drain plug out of the pan and go. By the time he got home the oil had drainded out of the pan, through the drain plug hole in the transom and onto Hwy 10. Wipe the bildge and rear crossmember of the trailer with a little simple green back at the shop, and he was done. How'd ya like to follow that rig home from the river?
    Sounds messy in the bildge and inconsiderate to others.

Jeanyus
    I have read several posts and articles about how to change the oil on your boat and there are suggestions ranging from pumping out through the dipstick to installing fancy drain plugs and associated plumbing. There are also those who just drain into the bilge and then clean up the mess.
    Here is a simple no mess solution that should work for most boats:
    1. Get a couple of heavy duty garbage bags and put one inside the other. 30 gallon seems to work the best for me.
    2. Buy or borrow sawdust. my neighbor is a cabinet maker so I just raid his garbage can. You can get it at pet stores, home improvement, farm and ranch, lots of places.
    3. Tuck the garbage sacks under the engine so that the oil can drain into the opened bags. Pour the sawdust into the bags, the more the better but keep in mind that you will need to remove the whole package later.
    4. Open the drain and let the oil drain into the bag with the sawdust, you should be able to pull the oil filter and let it drain too.
    5. The sawdust should soak up the oil and make it less likely to slosh around. Replace the drain plug and the filter and then carefully pull the garbage sack out from under the engine being carefull not to catch the plastic and tear it. dispose of the bag and oil in an appropriate manner.
    6. I have done this several times on three different boats and never spilled a drop.
    Well I made it to step 3, now where do I put the garbage bags?
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...drain_plug.jpg

Mighty Thor
    Well I made it to step 3, now where do I put the garbage bags?
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...drain_plug.jpg
    Probably best to put it over your head cause it don't look like it will fit under that oilpan.

Jeanyus
    Should I take the sawdust out before I put the bag over my head?

moneysucker
    Should I take the sawdust out before I put the bag over my head?
    Naw, you're good. As for dumping the oil on the road... What do you think Cal Trans does to the asphalt to keep it nice? They oil it. I would say he is saving the state and the tax payers money. I have not dumped strait oil on the road but when my flywheel cut my drain hose, I did fill the bilge with water at each gas station air water machine with some soap and drained it in between to re fill at the next one.

Tresguey
    i have a hose coming from my pan which is a 16 quart pan and a dual remote filter from perma-cool. which i would guess at 18 quarts. i have been haveing a water in the oil prob. and when i tried to drain the oil it was a very slow process. so what i did was rig a old electric gas pump to the drain hose and it only took 20 minutes compared to the 4 hours with gravity. has anyone ever try that?

GunninGopher
    I don't want to give up all my secrets but the hose from the oil plug hole is the way to go. I have also noticed that it drains way too slow. I use a cheap universal fuel pump and hook it to the drain hose and leads to the battery. My choice of pumps wasn't the best with 1/4 inlet and outlet it does ok but doesn't like pumping cold 50wt. They work very fast for normal oil.
    This must be an east county thing.
    I've done this to 2 jet boats now I it works great. I mount the fuel pump to the stringer. One the first one I had a valve in line. I'd always forget to shut it off after an oil change, but it never leaked out. I didn't even bother with a valve on the one I just put on my latest jet. It doesn't take long to drain at all when it is warm, but takes about 3x longer when cold. I'll bet I can have my oil drained before any other tube pump system out there.
    It only costs about $40 to make. and everything is there ready to go. When I sold my last jet, the guy that bought it said it was a strong selling point. I did change the oil a lot because it was so easy. I used to do the trash bag method, but I always made a mess. I had to do it this last time before installing the hose and pump. By the time I finally could get the plug out, I goofed up the bag and had to just vacuum it out.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast