Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repairing wood grain on deck

james s
    Although there has been great debate whether or not to paint or gelcoat, I have a question for anyone in NorCal... On my Eliminator, it has the old finish which incorporates a wood grain inlay on the section of the deck that comes up to the dash (20' mini-cruiser). I'm refinishing the gelcoat around the hull itself, but am at a loss as how to repair the inlay, as it's faded and needs to be redone. Someone in this month's ***boat had his redone, so I was wondering if there is anyone north of LA that may be able to repair? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks all!!!

beached1
    I forgot who mentioned this web site before but http//:www.rotdoctor.com has info on wood/gelcoat restoral etc. Good luck!

beached1
    Whoops I screwed it up. try this http://www.rotdoctor.com

Erik
    Don't write off polishing out the wood grain yet. My parents had the same problem on their Schiada. I think they used a very very fine wet sand paper & then a buffing compound. It came out really nice. Good luck!

James,
    I'm sure you are aware that the wood you are seeing is just a cloth/imitation wood layer that is layed up in the mold after that little section is shot with clear. The gel coater would then back up that cloth with a color to give it a tone, light like oak, dark like walnut, what ever. Then the glass is layed behind it. Just block sand the clear with some 1200 grit wet/dry paper and buff it out. you can even shoot some new clear over it if you want. Do not sand through the clear because that wood cloth is paper thin, and you can go right through it.

77Spectra
    I have not seen this on a boat, but you can get this stuff at any major hardware store. Remove old wood and clean surface with cheap paint thinner or mineral spirits. Apply contack cement to dash and back of vinear. Let dry and install. Be carefull, if you stick it in the wrong spot it is toast. Finnish and seal.

77Spectra
    There is no wood to take out and remove! What you are seeing is a wood design printed on a cloth that is tissue thin and was used by virtualy every one in the boat industry them to give the allusion of real wood. Unless this boat came with a wood deck, what you are telling him to do is a monumental amount of work. You would have to remove the phony wood layer with a router so the new hole you just created would be the same depth as the real wood veneer insert you are now going to put on. Then you would have to grind away part of the deck so could glass the piece in and feather the edges. Don't forget that you can't use regular glass you need to use 'deck cloth' so the wood grain will show through, other wise it will be cloudy. All this work to replace something that is not there!!! It's a piece of cloth, NOT WOOD.

james s
    Thanks for the help, guys!!! Yeah, I knew it wasn't wood, but was unsure what it exactly was. Next question: can you get the material anywhere anymore? I can wet sand the stress cracks in the clear, but there are portions of the cloth that have seriously faded, and probably need to be restained. Which brings the next ?; can you restain, or must you replace all? Once again, thanks all!!!

77Spectra
    Figured it out after I reread the original post. For some reason I was thinking wood on dash. Or maybe I was not thinking at all... Thats it.

SPECTRABRENT
    James,
    If you are not good at wet sanding dont try this at home. Find a professional gel coat guy only! If you are in So Cal I use Joe @ Joe's Tooling in Sun Valley, Ca. 818 768-4636
    Also, dont use car clear coat only gel coat.
    I had Joe redo mine, He does great work.
    Brent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast