Thread: Most Recommended Intake Manifold for a BBC

JetRookie
    Hey guys, my uncle is about to change his Intake manifold on his Hardin marine Single carb BBC motor. What are some of the best on the market? Any difference between the regular edelbrock manifolds(I have the Performer on my 67 Goat) and marine motor manifolds? Or are they both the same? There is no room for a tunnell ram/dual carb set up I already tried to have him go though route! haha. It's for a 89 Carribean 21 foot berkley jet made by Hardin.

InKahntrol
    To be perfectly honest, I've found that the best setup for all-around performance is still a well-designed single carb aluminum intake with a Holley carb. More exotic setups like tunnel ram, cross-ram, and even aftermarket EFI all look cool and can work well in certain situations, but its hard to beat the simplicity and effectiveness of a the standard single-quad intake, and new technology in design and manufacturing is helping speed part companies build better parts than ever.
    Hot Rod did a great story a few issues back where they took a healthy BBC and ran about half a dozen intake manifolds on the dyno to determine which one produced the most peak power, peak torque, and average overall power and torque. The surprising part of the story was that there wasn't a ton of difference between the most low-performance Torquer and the most radical Super Victor. A standard victor jr. with a big 850 Holley made the most peak horsepower, but it needed a lot more RPM and wasn't very strong in the midrange. The best manifold in the test was the Performer RPM Air Gap, which offers the midrange and bottom-end pull of a dual plane intake, but the high-rpm horsepower of a high-rise single plane. That's what I would go with, and it's also what I'm using on my current project. If you have a problem with Edelbrock (not sure why you would, they make a great product), the Weiand Stealth is decent as well.
    Dan

Nucking futs
    the Weiand Stealth is decent as well.
    Dan
    thats what i am running on my cruiser with a 850 demon mech, sec. and i like that combo for all around use.

1stepcloser
    I run a modified BBC with Edelbrocks (http://) RPM Air-Gap intake and would recommend it in your case.
    It's not necessarily a "marine" intake, but it does have the raised plenum feature and blocked exhaust crossover which seems to help with keeping the intake charge cooler.
    It does not add too much in height, so it should clear any hatch as well.
    A "Marine" style intake will usually have bronze lined or hard anodized water passages, and not too much else.
    As long as your uncle does not plan on salt water and is fairly good about draining the engine when not in use the traditional intakes will do fine.

Squirtin Thunder
    If you have limited room the Stealth is not the best choice, they are a tall deck duelplane manifold. They are much better in boats and trucks than cars, it seems that they creat more toque than the RPM air gap, they also will turn higher rpms than most duel plane intakes.
    Jim