Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 572 crate motor

Thunderbutt
    I knew this would happen, and Eliminator did it. Put the 572 crate motor in one of there boats. And I'm going to do the same thing. Why pay big bucks to a motor builder or Mercury when you can get 620 HP 0r 720 HP for 13K or 14K.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I have actually seen the 620hp version for 11k+ . that is a steal. I totally agree merc engines are WAYYYYYY over priced.
    Omega

spectras only
    Jim , that's what I would put in my spectra V-drive as a replacement of the LS-6 . .The 454 400+HP , 4 bolt crate motor is a sweet deal as well under 10K CDN

Dave C
    ditto ... no sh*t
    I have actually seen the 620hp version for 11k+ . that is a steal. I totally agree merc engines are WAYYYYYY over priced.
    Omega

Gerard
    I heard about this also. Supposedly, the guy has had no problems for 20 hours or so now. I always thought it was B.S. to pay 3x as much for a marine motor with the same HP as a non-marine motor. There are just not that many differences to justify 3x the price.

HighRoller
    Another sweet deal is the Ram-Jet 502. It's the ZZ502 (502HP-alum heads) with a tunnel ram style tuned-port fuel injection setup. Supposedly it makes around 540-550hp with a good set of headers and you can add a synced up distributor system to get full digital/sequential fuel and ignition setup. Goes for about $9200.

Thunderbutt
    Chevy has been making good parts for years. The cost of the after market parts aren't worth it. The motor in my boat is (now) 32 years old and it has chevy parts except the roller rockers, and I have been run the hell out of the think. I had the motor rebuilt this year and the guy that did it couldn't beleive how good the parts were, but I still put new one in. The bearings looked like they came out of the box. So for 11k and 620 HP you can't beat it.

cruser
    Unless you are open to running a Ford. Ford has a 625 hp 514 for $7600, from the factory. SVO link (http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=6188)
    Not looking to start a Ford/Chevy pissing match, just looking at options myself.

wsuwrhr
    A custumer of mine is running the 572 in his sandrail. Talk about torque, effortless power wheelies.
    Brian

Infomaniac
    I heard about this also. Supposedly, the guy has had no problems for 20 hours or so now. I always thought it was B.S. to pay 3x as much for a marine motor with the same HP as a non-marine motor. There are just not that many differences to justify 3x the price.
    All marine engine builders do not charge 3X that amount. Most builders like Teague etc quote the engines with exhaust, accessories, wiring and senders.
    Oh yea there is some warranty cost built into the marine builders price.
    Try and Warranty the GM 572 when used in a boat. Must be some difference if GM will warranty it in your street rod turning it 6k RPM + and will not warranty the same engine if you install it in your boat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast