Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Help

RUCAV
    This is for the more mechanically inclined than me. I was reading the article last month in Hot Boat about the Chevy 572 CI engine. It seems to be a sweet deal for a marine engine. Either 620 or 720 HP and its cheaper (14 to 16K each depending on HP) than a 525 HP engine. Whats the scoop. Is this the new deal or is there a reason its not the happening engine.
    I appreciate your help.
    :hammerhea

Havasu Hangin'
    I think this has been discussed in the gearheads section once or twice.
    I think the concensus was that is you run a closed cooling system, the clearances will be OK...but a marine cam (with a 122 or 114 LSA) would be needed to prevent reversion (depending on the exhaust).

GlastronGuy
    Did your engine run up on a sandbar?

RUCAV
    Did your engine run up on a sandbar?
    HUH?? I am researching engines for a future boat.

RUCAV
    I think this has been discussed in the gearheads section once or twice.
    I think the concensus was that is you run a closed cooling system, the clearances will be OK...but a marine cam (with a 122 or 114 LSA) would be needed to prevent reversion (depending on the exhaust).
    Is this something that will make this engine unreasonable pricewise?

Misogynist
    This is for the more mechanically inclined than me. I was reading the article last month in Hot Boat about the Chevy 572 CI engine. It seems to be a sweet deal for a marine engine. Either 620 or 720 HP and its cheaper (14 to 16K each depending on HP) than a 525 HP engine. Whats the scoop. Is this the new deal or is there a reason its not the happening engine.
    I appreciate your help.
    :hammerhea
    572 cubic inch Chev based engines are "square" ... Nice all around performance ... Good rpm and Good torque... 4.5 inch bore 4.5 inch stroke... hence the expression "square"... Take a tall block and bore to 4.5... get an aftermarket crank 4.5.... you are in business....

THOR
    Rucav,
    You getting rid of the 247? What are you planning? Spill it dude.
    The 247 would be a rocket with that motor. Mine does a solid 78 with stock power (496 HO), I couldnt imagine it with 300 more HP.

Havasu Hangin'
    Is this something that will make this engine unreasonable pricewise?
    No...a cam switch is not really expensive, but it will lower the rated HP (less scavanging) long with wet exhaust manifolds.

RUCAV
    Rucav,
    You getting rid of the 247? What are you planning? Spill it dude.
    The 247 would be a rocket with that motor. Mine does a solid 78 with stock power (496 HO), I couldnt imagine it with 300 more HP.
    Not getting rid of the Ultra. I spent 2 years looking at different boats when I bought this one. I know what boat I will buy next but I am not sold on the 500 and 525 engines. I dont love the mercury engine monopoly. But could you imagine that boat with a 620 HP motor. You couldnt keep it in the water.

PHOTOGLOU
    I was wrong today when I quoted 18k its 13 k for the 720hp my cost the 18k was for the ram jet with fuel injection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast